Sally clarks hill-woodhouse

Destiny

Does anyone have any info at all regarding the real history of Sally Clarkes, situated just off Waterslacks road, Woodhouse. I have some information, but there seem to be quite a few stories about her and her cottage, some of them being, she was a Witch, her cottage used to be a hospital and then a school, she died by fire in her cottage, and she died of old age!. Now which is true, i dont know.can anyone help, i'd love to know the true history of her and her cottage.

Thanks

Destiny

Sally Clarke's cottage said to be around 400 yrs old

also refered to as Windy House and later as Gaping Hill cottage

but known as Sally Clarke's,

The story goes that Sally was carrying a lamp to her bedroom and fell,

setting fire to her clothes and she was burned to death.

older residents dispute this and say Sally lived to a ripe old age,

and it was on old lady named Richardson who was burned to death.

This came from someone who was doing some history for Woodhouse and is just a snippet, it looks like Sally had a daughter Bessie Sparks or Sparke, bit hard to read.

There is also some info. for other village characters.

Had a look on 1851 census,

Clarks House

Joseph Clark 72

Sarah Clark 72 (sally)

so it looks possible that she did live to a ripe old age.

also on the 1861 her daughter Elizabeth Sparke 52

husband James a shoemaker, he's stated as a cobbler in the information i have so seems to bear the story out.

From a book Woodhouse compiled by L Widdowson & M Young.

Sally Clark who lived in this Cottage (Photographed) during the 1800's was believed to be a witch by many local people. As well as being a home the cottage had many uses-Dame school, a dance room and even a Cholera hospital. The last tenant to inhabit the cottage was a Joseph Arnold + son and lodger Mr Froggert. Around 1940 the unoccupied cottage was vandalised, & shortly afterwards was demolished to allow opencast mining. Today still referred to as Sallly Clarks, it's original name was Gaping Hill cottage and was the home of Joshua Sargeant, a miller, who had a windmill to the right of the cottage which was in working order in 1795.

n.b. I have abbreviated this somewhat but included salient facts.

Sorry I couldn't show photo- don't know how.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember going to a field which was known as Sally Field's with the girl guide's - behind the library somewhere. The story went that she had left the land to the children of Woodhouse to use and enjoy. I wonder if it's still a field?

I was going to point you in this direction, but as you can see it's not working anymore,and the next link doesn't work either. The website was really good and full of information and pictures about the conservation area, including some history, which hasn't been mentioned on this thread so far, about Sally Clarke's. I wish I could remember some of it... Sorry for the uselessness!

• 5 months later...

Archived