I want to join / start a book group

Well I think we have our first book.

It looks good. Old school, before real; science got in the way of all those possibilities.

If anyone else wants to join us, you can find a review here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)

We'll see if anyone else is interested...

You missed out a bracket in the link. Fixed link here.

It's fair to say that without this book, Orwell would not have written 1984.

There's a saying that goes:

"never lend a book to a friend, because you'll lose your book and your friend"

I am very choosy in lending books, I don't like parting with them. When I'm not too bothered I prefer to give them away to people or a charity shop.

I had to start doing this (much to my dismay as a book hoarder) when I realized I had over 2000 books at home and most of them are double parked on the shelves. Still suffer when I say goodbye to one, though.

:shakes::cry:

One of the last books I read was "A suitable boy", 1300 pages and I was upset when I finished because I wanted more of it!

There's a saying that goes:

"never lend a book to a friend, because you'll lose your book and your friend"

I am very choosy in lending books, I don't like parting with them. When I'm not too bothered I prefer to give them away to people or a charity shop.

I had to start doing this (much to my dismay as a book hoarder) when I realized I had over 2000 books at home and most of them are double parked on the shelves. Still suffer when I say goodbye to one, though.

:shakes::cry:

One of the last books I read was "A suitable boy", 1300 pages and I was upset when I finished because I wanted more of it!

What a shame you feel this way! All the best books I read were lent to me, whether given to me by a friend or picked up at a laundry room in exchange for something I left.

The more I love a book, the more I want to share it and it's ideas.

Given or swapped is not really the same as lent.

I have so much affection towards some of my books that if I lent them and I wouldn't get them back it would be like saying goodbye to my best friend.

I'm happy to give away books I know I won't ever read, buy I don't lend many of them.

Archived