Sheffield Flood

Guest MichelleJG

I have a Word document which is taken from website, it is a copy of a book written at the time of the flood. It tells what caused the flood and the damaged caused as the water made its way down the Loxley valley, through Sheffield and onto Rotherham and Doncaster.

Email martyn41@btopenworld.com if you want it.

Or do a search on Google, thats where I found it.

• 3 weeks later...

Agood book is The Dramatic Story of The Sheffield Flood by Peter Machan ISBN 1901587053.

I believe that there is an exibition on the Sheffield Flood at Kelham Island Museum in Sheffield.

Mo

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am researching all the victims of the Sheffield Flood (12th March 1864) and have a considerable amount of information about each family affected.

At the time it was recorded that 240 people died but I actually believe 290 people died as a direct result of the flood, although some of these died afterwards of the effects suffered that night.

I am trying to contact anyone who is descended from a flood victim but will happily pass on details of any family to anyone interested.

Please contact me if you want any further details

Karen Lightowler

• 2 months later...

:blush: Apologies to all for not getting back on this subject earlier.

New to the computing game.

Karen 828 I would like to communicate with you on this as I have a walking stick with an inscription Geo.Dyson on the collar and on the other side "Sheffield Flood 12th March 1861 260 lives lost". thankyou and apologies again.

rawaldmeister@compuserve.com:blush:

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear Waldmeister

Hi the year that the sheffield flood happened was in 1864 on the 11th march, it was the dale dyke dam which burst caused by a crack in the wall of the dam. this caused 250 human deaths. along with the lives of animals and buildings and works.

if you are intrested please look up " askjeeves.co.uk" and type in the sheffield flood 1864 or try this search-

This link may also be of some help to you. i am sorry but the last url was wrong.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/personal...flood.html#books

or -

htpp://www.askjeeves.co.uk and then type in- sheffield flood 1864 .

you can also get books from the library about these books as there are quiet a few.

on this site you will also be able to download an e-book on the sheffield flood. most ineresting.

if you would like to know anything else please ask. and i will try to help.

thank you. julie

Archived