Sheffield Flood

At the Bradfield Parish Council Offices in Low Bradfield there is an archive containing information on the flood of 1864. There are books on sale about the subject.

Malcolm Nunn the Archivist there is a much informed and respected local historian and has a large knowledge of the flood, he has lectured on the subject and is most helpful to anyone interested.

Please note the Archive is only open to the general public every Thursday (All Day) when Mr Nunn will be in attendance.

I hope this helps any interested parties.

Pop T

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandmother was born in Bradfield at the time of the flood. Her name was Lydia Ibbotson, she was born in bradfield village a few days before the flood. Her father's name was Richard Ibbotson. My mother had the orriginal flood book, I have a copy. It's called A Complete History of the Great Flood at Sheffield by Samuel Harrison. In it is a chapter called the remarkable Dream. Which is about a dream my great grand mother had the night

before the flood.

Norma Smith

• 2 weeks later...

My seven year old daughter has just returned from school,i asked if her teacher had mentioned the flood,(with it being 140 yrs ago today) but no,not even a whisper,i know there is a curiculam(sp) to adhere to,but surely this warranted a mention,its a big part of our history,if it wasnt for me and her mum she may never have heard about it.

Originally posted by deano

My seven year old daughter has just returned from school,i asked if her teacher had mentioned the flood,(with it being 140 yrs ago today) but no,not even a whisper,i know there is a curiculam(sp) to adhere to,but surely this warranted a mention,its a big part of our history,if it wasnt for me and her mum she may never have heard about it.

Yes - it's all about Maths, Science and English for the SATS tests.

• 2 years later...

Archived