Sheffield Flood

Isn't there a plaque somewhere on the Wicker Arches about it, & a mark to show the height of the water? my Mother pointed it out to me over 50 years ago.

I found the one in the Hillsborough Barracks the other day - look on the wall on the right just before you go into Morrisons - about 8 feet up.

I found the one in the Hillsborough Barracks the other day - look on the wall on the right just before you go into Morrisons - about 8 feet up.

there is also one on the front of the pub in hillsbro' shakespear i think it is,as for the walking stick,there is a small display in the weston park museum regarding the great flood,and it also has a walking stick ,amongst other things

• 2 years later...

Hi All

Today is the 146th anniversary of The Sheffield Flood so I just wanted to post a message in memory of all those who died in this terrible event.

I have been researching the victims of the Sheffield Flood for the last few years and have become totally obsessed now by this wonderful, albeit tragic, event. I feel very honoured to delve into the lives of these poor people and a very special part of my research is making contact with descendants of those who died.

To date the latest figure for the number of victims to die in and after the flood, is no less than 308.

If anyone has a connection to any of the victims, or would like to find out if their ancestors were involved, I will happily pass on any details I have about any family. I will also pass on a list of all the victims to anyone who is interested.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Karen Lightowler

KarenL823@aol.com

• 3 years later...
Hi

I am researching all the victims of the Sheffield Flood (12th March 1864) and have a considerable amount of information about each family affected.

At the time it was recorded that 240 people died but I actually believe 290 people died as a direct result of the flood, although some of these died afterwards of the effects suffered that night.

I am trying to contact anyone who is descended from a flood victim but will happily pass on details of any family to anyone interested.

Please contact me if you want any further details

Karen Lightowler

hi Karen did you find a webb as I have always been told he died in the flood but could never find a webb name

• 1 month later...

Of course, March 11th 2014 marks the 150th Anniversary of the Great Sheffield Flood and you can find out more about commemorative events in Bradfield in March from this web link:

My band - TOFFEE MUSIC - will be at the exhibition in Bradfield Village Hall (on Sat 8th and Sun 9th March 10am - 4pm) where we will have our new CD - 5 songs we wrote about the flood plus 5 other work songs - available for sale - £5, and it all goes to Weston Park Hospital Cancer Charity for which we have raised over £11,000 since Jan 2012.

It would be great to see you there.

Hi All

Today is the 146th anniversary of The Sheffield Flood so I just wanted to post a message in memory of all those who died in this terrible event.

I have been researching the victims of the Sheffield Flood for the last few years and have become totally obsessed now by this wonderful, albeit tragic, event. I feel very honoured to delve into the lives of these poor people and a very special part of my research is making contact with descendants of those who died.

To date the latest figure for the number of victims to die in and after the flood, is no less than 308.

If anyone has a connection to any of the victims, or would like to find out if their ancestors were involved, I will happily pass on any details I have about any family. I will also pass on a list of all the victims to anyone who is interested.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Karen Lightowler

KarenL823@aol.com

my grandmother gave me a bookabout the sheffield flood about 25 years ago. in the back of the book it tells you the names of people killed, where they lived and where their bodies was found. if you need any info pm me. john:thumbsup:

my grandmother gave me a bookabout the sheffield flood about 25 years ago. in the back of the book it tells you the names of people killed, where they lived and where their bodies was found. if you need any info pm me. john:thumbsup:

there is a large article in todays Sheffield Star about the flood

• 2 weeks later...

Archived