Button Lane Houses ?

Kashul

Hi All

I am trying to help a Canadian relative do a history on our branch of the family. I would like to show him photos but all we have is photos of people not places.

I ahve found some pics online of Button Lane but they dont show the houses or if I am really lucky the insides of one or two. Hubbie and his family lived on Button Lane.

They have never been over here and I would love to show them how my hubbie and his family lived 1940's to 1950's

Can anyone help ?

can't think of no houses on button lane,apart from the old flats that was near fitzwilliam street and side of the old rag and bone yard.

I had family living in the old flats and there are some that just looks like the old flats now in sheffield.

HI Thanks for that hon, I found those pics, my hubbie lived in 51 button lane, the ones in that list are at the wrong end of the street.

He lived with his mum and bro and their gran and grandad lived in the terrace house next door, there were alot of terraces on the lane...

Thanks anyway xx

• 4 years later...

hi, i know this thread was made a long time ago, just wondered what kind of time period you are looking for, my grandparents just started looking at their family history, however we can't find much about Button Lane, wondered if you could help?

many thanks

hi, i know this thread was made a long time ago, just wondered what kind of time period you are looking for, my grandparents just started looking at their family history, however we can't find much about Button Lane, wondered if you could help?

many thanks

hiya, i lived on bath st in the 1940s up to1961, i remember button lane quite well at the time that you're writing about, from thomas st there were a row of terrace houses about six or so then a shop on the corner of fitzwilliam st across the road were spare land, i remember pre 1949 walking down thamas st straight to the moor ,then richards was built, further on button lane towards moorhead was billy clarkes fishing tackle shop, around there were a lot of spare land. across the road was a meeting house. then marsdens rag and bone, waste paper yard the smell was something else further down the lane was atkinsons bombed store, on the same side was a few more terraced houses one family i remember was called north then towards moorhead there were shops on both sides past rockingham st.

i remember when we used to play on the wreck site of atkinsons it was a big hole in the ground with about 4 ins of water all over, anyway what i also remember was on the ground at the top were dozens of flat pieces of pearl shells with hiles cut in them about shirt button size, it seems at one time a button factory was there wonder if thats how it got its name years before.

just remembered the old salvation army hostal, it was where the one was rebuilt on fitzwilliam st just above button lane. another factory i remenber just off button lane was moore and wrights before moving to handsworth.

I remember the second hand/junk yard having a nice looking Austin (7 I think) for £5.00. I used to love it around there, wasn't there a swap Shop opposite the junk yard?

My grandmother was born very close to it, in the caretakers accommodation for South Street Chapel.

Hi

I wonder if you are still on here Kashul as I noticed you said your hubbie lived at no 51 Button Lane. I am trying to find out more about where no 51 was along the Lane (in relation to present day Charter Row) as some of my ancestors lived at no 51 in the 1861 census - Ann Beal listed as Lodging House Keeper. I am related to her daughter Martha Alathea Beal and her husband Daniel Peace.

Archived