Button Lane Houses ?

Kashul

does anyone know whether there was some sort of fruit shop/ stall on this road? i think it would be around the time of the 1900's.

hiya, in1895 there were at number 88 b/l a byron gill, fruiterer. 56, mrs mary ann froggart, fruiterer.122/24 vincent harvey,greengrocer. there were many shops on this road at that time including two i remember in the 40s that the names were still dealing , as wood a fishing tackle dealer but he moved to fitzwilliam st just round the corner, and marsdens ,rag and metal merchant,and no 51 was in between rockingham st and eldon st

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I just wondered if there was anyone out there who can remember if there was a chemist type shop on Button Lane or on any of the nearby streets that sold theatrical make-up? I'm searching for the name of my grandfather who apparently owned such a shop around 1937. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All

I am trying to help a Canadian relative do a history on our branch of the family. I would like to show him photos but all we have is photos of people not places.

I ahve found some pics online of Button Lane but they dont show the houses or if I am really lucky the insides of one or two. Hubbie and his family lived on Button Lane.

They have never been over here and I would love to show them how my hubbie and his family lived 1940's to 1950's

Can anyone help ?

My fathers side of the family lived on Button Lane before moving out onto the new housing estates built before the 2nd world war.Relatives then moved out to start a new career around Ontario,Canada involved in cutlery manufacture.I can vaguely remember my parents taking me up the archway at the side of the Angel Inn where there were stables at the top.Story had it that my grandfather used to take an elephant from the Hippodrome Theatre that was around the corner to stay there when they appeared in Sheffield

Archived