Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

On holiday recently, I passed a shop window sporting a colourful group of Golliwogs, all wearing jazzy bow ties and big, wide smiles :)

There was even a dreadocked Golli :)

So, after his/her loss of popularity/acceptability in the 80s-90s, I wondered what popular opinion is now regarding the Golliwog?

Love 'em, hate 'em, or can't see what all the fuss was about?

Not a troll post, and as Joep would say, can you all play nicely please :)

On holiday recently, I passed a shop window sporting a colourful group of Golliwogs, all wearing jazzy bow ties and big, wide smiles :)

There was even a dreadocked Golli :)

So, after his/her loss of popularity/acceptability in the 80s-90s, I wondered what popular opinion is now regarding the Golliwog?

Love 'em, hate 'em, or can't see what all the fuss was about?

Not a troll post, and as Joep would say, can you all play nicely please :)

This was my favourite toy as a child, but hear a shop was raided the other week for selling them.

well there was an article in the paper the other day we're the police took away 2 golliwogs from a shop that somebody had complained about

later on they retirned them tho as no crime had been commited.

tbh ive got nothing against golliwogs, my dad still has loads of the old jam badges.

i dont love em and i dont hate em.

i recognise they have a long history, and dont believe they are meant to be some gret malicious thing.

im not actually sure they are supposed to be human........as in the rupert the bear cartoon from years ago, sure there was some in that, and they were more like troll characters????

What makes me laugh is that there are dolls which are white all over the place, and then a black one pops up and its racist. It'd be more racist to make all dolls white than it is to make some dolls black.

My sentiments exactly.

At it's most basic; white, black, yellow, brown, it matters not to me. Aren't we all part of a rich, culturally diverse community?

In my opinion, dolls and toys should reflect that.

Archived