Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

If you have a question about moderation then please feel free to contact the helpdesk

Please note that bickering and name calling will result in the thread being closed and further action taken

I used to have a golly when I was little. Then again I also had (and still have) a bald, green male rag doll called Luigi and a cat rag doll who carries a basket of flowers and stands on her back legs only. Neither of them is intended to be a faithful representation of a human being, so why should a golly be assumed to be one?

I used to have a golly when I was little. Then again I also had (and still have) a bald, green male rag doll called Luigi and a cat rag doll who carries a basket of flowers and stands on her back legs only. Neither of them is intended to be a faithful representation of a human being, so why should a golly be assumed to be one?

I think it's its history Medusa, I certainly didn't think negatively about it until I arrived at infant school, where the name or abbreviations of it were used to persecute me mercilessly.

I don't have a major issue with it now, but understand how when it was taken out of its innocent childhood context it became something that had negative connotations amongst black ethnic groups.

Archived