Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

I think it's its history Medusa, I certainly didn't think negatively about it until I arrived at infant school, where the name or abbreviations of it were used to persecute me mercilessly.

I don't have a major issue with it now, but understand how when it was taken out of its innocent childhood context it became something that had negative connotations amongst black ethnic groups.

I agree (again:o) it's the diminutive form of word 'wog' which is used as very much as a racial slur and term of abuse that is at the heart of this issue, as you say. I was also taunted with it mercilessly at school.

I think it's its history Medusa, I certainly didn't think negatively about it until I arrived at infant school, where the name or abbreviations of it were used to persecute me mercilessly.
I know you've said this before and I think it's an awful thing to have happened to you. What on earth were the teacher's doing to allow it to go on?

I was brought up in a working class inner city area but I can't think of any circumstances that my family would have tolerated talk like that. Where on earth did you live that parents (and teachers) allowed their kids to torment another kid like that?

I know you've said this before and I think it's an awful thing to have happened to you. What on earth were the teacher's doing to allow it to go on?
They were less enlightened times ruby, I don't really blame the teachers, but young kids have a sophisticated ability to pick a scab until it bleeds, and obviously the influences you experience as a 5 year old are deep seated.

I was brought up in a working class inner city area but I can't think of any circumstances that my family would have tolerated talk like that. Where on earth did you live that parents (and teachers) allowed their kids to torment another kid like that?

...funnily enough the working classes were brilliant rarely had a problem from them, it was the kids of the middle classes that were invariably the problem, too much free thinking, without the installation of good manners and personal responsibility, much the same as it is now. I was brought up in my early years by my grand parents and attended infant school in leafy S10.

It was on the news last night about them!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northwesttonight/latest_stories/index.shtml

Click on "Golly doll siezed by police".

The ironic thing is that the publicity has been good for the shop - they sold out! A shop further north in the region also had the same thing happen to them last year.

Molloy's in Southport sells loads of them, and I'm not ashamed to say I bought one. My daughter plays with it and likes him a lot. The missus won't let her take him out of the house though!

I've just come back from a week in Torquay and loads of the shops there had golliwogs in stock.

I didn't buy one though as they were not very good quality.

I agree (again:o) it's the diminutive form of word 'wog' which is used as very much as a racial slur and term of abuse that is at the heart of this issue, as you say. I was also taunted with it mercilessly at school.
It's something you hear less of now, I don't know whether these kids have reformed or found something else to direct their spittle at.

I don't have a major issue with it now, but understand how when it was taken out of its innocent childhood context it became something that had negative connotations amongst black ethnic groups.

I cannot understand any teacher ever allowing children to say things like that, but then again I also cannot understand how they seem to miss so many instances of bullying in general.

I went to school with a lovely black girl called Blossom, so unfortunately her 'bullying name' was really easy to work out. Mine was a more subtle one- I wore glasses and was a bit porky as a child and my surname rhymed with 'diet'.

Some kids are just nasty. I hope you have succeeded in putting it all behind you now :)

It's something you hear less of now, I don't know whether these kids have reformed or found something else to direct their spittle at.

Non-whites were a rarity in the S11 schools that I went to. The kids (and some staff) were pretty vile but these days racism is not tolerated and most kids don't even notice others of different ethnicity. Mixed race kids are also far more common. Don't forget these were the days when people found comedies such as Benny Hill, Love Thy Neighbour, Mind Your Language and It Ain't Half Hot Mum, hilarious. The insult du jour seems to be 'lesbian' or 'gay', which is outrageous and I've been on the phone to the head a few times about stories I've heard from my kids.

Kids are not born with prejudice, it is learned from parents and others.

Archived