Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

You haven't considered the reason you haven't heard the word is because the doll became unfashionable in the 80's? You don't hear about cabbage patch dolls anymore for the same reason.

so i dont understand what the problem is? as you have just said the word is not used anymore, i dont doubt that back in the 70,s and 80,s it was a word that was UNACCEPTABLE, i am sure there are plenty of other words that can be twisted to insult, but here we are talking about "Gollywogs" NOT ****! 2 DIFFERENT WORDS. If stuff from the past keep being brought up then we can never move forward.

so i dont understand what the problem is? as you have just said the word is not used anymore, i dont doubt that back in the 70,s and 80,s it was a word that was UNACCEPTABLE, i am sure there are plenty of other words that can be twisted to insult, but here we are talking about "Gollywogs" NOT ****! 2 DIFFERENT WORDS.

What do you think the etymology of 'wog' is? It was only abbreviated so the person uttering it could inflict the maximum insult with the minimum amount of effort.

If stuff from the past keep being brought up then we can never move forward.

I think that's the point that's being made.

Since the topic has meandered on to the BNP what do you think of them forging links with a far right Japanese group that don't think they have anything to apologise for with respect to the attrocities carried out on our soldiers in the second world war?

http://grayee.blogspot.com/2010/08/bnp-honours-japan-criminals-who.html

Doesn't seem very patriotic to me, what about you?

I know that Nick Griffin was the only invited north west politician to attend a Far East prisoners of war ceremony in Liverpool recently. Why could none of the many Labour mp's up there be bothered? probably too busy discussing funding for more mosques to be built or something like that eh?

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2010/08/16/service-to-honour-far-east-prisoners-of-war-held-in-liverpool-92534-27069731/

I know that Nick Griffin was the only invited north west politician to attend a Far East prisoners of war ceremony in Liverpool recently. Why could none of the many Labour mp's up there be bothered? probably too busy discussing funding for more mosques to be built or something like that eh?

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2010/08/16/service-to-honour-far-east-prisoners-of-war-held-in-liverpool-92534-27069731/

No idea why other MEPs didn't turn up. As for why Griffin turned up, probably in response to the fact they sent someone as part of the Far right grouping in europe to forge links with the Japanese far right. I doubt very much the servicemen are too impressed with Griffin's attendance.

Lee Barnes described what was going on in these words:

I support forming a EUROPEAN NATIONALIST BLOCK, what I do not support and nor do the European people is a NEW NAZI AXIS GROUPING both in the EU and outside it.

The political parties in Europe that are heirs of Nazi parties or the direct descendants of Nazi parties must never be seen to be recreating or attempting to form The Axis Powers Block of pre-WW2.

He continues....

For the Japanese people, they are motivated by what is known as 'face'. In other words they gain respect and power when people are seen as subservient to them,.

The fact that in the same week that the British people honoured their war dead, a representative of a British political party went to the shrine where they honour their war dead, who were war criminals who slaughtered tens of thousands of British troops, will give them great face.

At the same time they will be now holding the BNP in utter contempt for doing so.

Walker knows this as much as I do, as he understands the Japanese mindset - so the question is, why did he go along with it ?

The European Nationalist parties who also attended this trip with the BNP couldnt give a toss about the Far East war that British troops fought in, as most of their oldest supporters were busy fighting British troops in Europe at the time.

For the BRITISH NATIONAL party to have gone with a EU wide group of people who can now be depicted as nostalgic for the Third Reich and supped with the Japanese political party, despised even by most decent Japanese people for their glorification of genocide and murder, is the politics of the madhouse.

For Adam Walker then not to condemn the atrocities committed against British troops is insane.

Now, back to topic. I own a complete ceramic set of Robertson Golly Band figures purchased, some years ago, purely as an investment. How does this reflect on me ... am I an innocent, yet slightly spoddy, tat-trader or should I consider myself as monstrous as my (possibly, since I hail originally from Merseyside) slave ship operating ancestors?

I think I have one somewhere inherited from my grandparents. The symbolism is fairly harmless in most circumstances, but there are exceptions....

This for example shows the symbolism being used in an offensive rather than harmless nostalgic way:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/465772/Angel-faced-racist-aged-12-Girl-burns-golly-at-BNP-fun-day.html

Archived