Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

i used to work in a nursery about 2 yrs ago when these dolls were on the up again, about 3 of the children in my nursery brought them in, but the managment banned them from nursery as, the name was thought to offensive to the ethnic children in the nursery :rolleyes:

Same as baa baa black sheep, we were banned singing that it had to be baa baa rainbow sheep

Same as baa baa black sheep, we were banned singing that it had to be baa baa rainbow sheep

Please tell me you're kidding!

Thing is, It's not offensive to refer 'the black guy who lives by the park' (for example) is it? It's not a derogatory term!

imho they're dreadfully tacky and they belong to a different time, a somewhat insensitive time when we had a lot of embarrassing ideas (Black + White minstrels anyone?) but that's no reason to ban them.

As childrens toys they are something to throw at a baby to entertain 'em, and as collectables they shouldn't be ranked along side Hitler Youth daggers. They're just dolls.

Please tell me you're kidding!

Thing is, It's not offensive to refer 'the black guy who lives by the park' (for example) is it? It's not a derogatory term!

No i'm not kidding, it got so silly that i left, i was not even aloud to call children, cheeky monkey

I find the example of baa baa black sheep absolutely rediculous tbh, to say that calling a black sheep black is racist is madness, what if its a black dog, black rabbit, black bird? they are all black in fact...its not derogatory its fact, we can't call them all "rainbow" really its laughable :hihi:

It was on the news last night about them!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northwesttonight/latest_stories/index.shtml

Click on "Golly doll siezed by police".

The ironic thing is that the publicity has been good for the shop - they sold out! A shop further north in the region also had the same thing happen to them last year.

Molloy's in Southport sells loads of them, and I'm not ashamed to say I bought one. My daughter plays with it and likes him a lot. The missus won't let her take him out of the house though!

I'm sure somewhere in the loft at my mums I've got a late 1960's or early 1970's book "Noddy and the Naughty Golliwogs" where they stole Noddy's car.

On today's Noddy programmes they're nowhere to be seen, but have been replaced by an over polite, over helpful black girl who (I think) sells flowers. All the other characters get into occasional scrapes and mishaps before they learn their lesson and a heavy moral (stealing, not sharing etc. etc.) - except for the black girl.

Archived