Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

i dont think you get what i mean............i mean positive NOW never mind then (the history) your treating it as a kids toy, not a racist tool

most nursery rhymes arent very nice when you look deeper.

i think mary mary quite contrary was posted on here before, and is about killing and stuff

obviously ring a ring o posies is about the plague

all not very nice if you look at the history

I do get what you mean but it's from a subjective view of one, you can't say never mind the history, have we learnt nothing?

Liquid Pig makes some good points in his last sentence, all I wanted to do was let you know some of their history and as before the choice is yours...

I do get what you mean but it's from a subjective view of one, you can't say never mind the history, have we learnt nothing?

and have we learnt anything from banning things?

have we learnt from sweeping things under the carpet?

have we learnt things from prohibition?

have we learnt anything from the drugs war?

dont get me wrong im very anti racist .......even after 20 years on the anarcho punk scene i still wear an anti nazi badge

i just think in regards to golliwogs its not in our interest / worth it to try and ban / stamp out

which (forgetting the history) mean absolutely nothing to people these days apart from a toy / nostalgia

maybe you cant forget the history, then i think thats your problem, not the dolls.

like i said theres plenty of other things with history ideally we shouldnt forget but do

like the british empire

captain cook

i doubt most germans rememeber their history that much, theyre still proud to be german

this is a bit of a ramble, just trying to point out, history isnt always relevant with today

and have we learnt anything from banning things?

have we learnt from sweeping things under the carpet?

have we learnt things from prohibition?

have we learnt anything from the drugs war?

dont get me wrong im very anti racist .......even after 20 years on the anarcho punk scene i still wear an anti nazi badge

i just think in regards to golliwogs its not in our interest / worth it to try and ban / stamp out

which (forgetting the history) mean absolutely nothing to people these days apart from a toy / nostalgia

maybe you cant forget the history, then i think thats your problem, not the dolls.

like i said theres plenty of other things with history ideally we shouldnt forget but do

like the british empire

captain cook

i doubt most germans rememeber their history that much, theyre still proud to be german

this is a bit of a ramble, just trying to point out, history isnt always relevant with today

Whoaaaaaa, there's a lot of stuff in there :) I've tried to just keep to the topic and the context of the Tail's question.

Let me ask you some questions.

1. Why is it in our interest to continue to use a gross caricature in the 21st Century.

2. Who said this should be swept under the carpet? I've presented you with facts that clearly point out that the history of Gollywoggs are built on racial slurs and caricatures, is that something we should celebrate?

3. Who mentioned banning? I'm saying it isn't acceptable...

4. "maybe you cant forget the history, then i think thats your problem, not the dolls"

This makes no sense, the doll didn't birth itself, as pointed out in Question 2, if you want to celebrate it, go ahead just don't expect me to agree with you.

I don't see where not being proud to be british comes into this, I'm very proud to be british but I'm not about to accept some piece of racist crap just because it was on the back of a jam jar when I was a kid.

4. "maybe you cant forget the history, then i think thats your problem, not the dolls"

This makes no sense, the doll didn't birth itself, as pointed out in Question 2, if you want to celebrate it, go ahead just don't expect me to agree with you.

I don't see where not being proud to be british comes into this, I'm very proud to be british but I'm not about to accept some piece of racist crap just because it was on the back of a jam jar when I was a kid.

think theres only these 2 points that need replying to......

history................its not about celebrating, its about using the dolls for what they are.......dolls, letting the kids play with em, to them theyre just dolls, black dolls.........as somebody said is it better just to give them white dolls only? same as kids still get enid blyton books.........without the same racist crap i believe............should they be banned? or be deemed unnacetable? even without the racist crap (history)?

being proud to be british was with the bit i wrote about the british empire, when the british army etc strode round the world taking over lands such as india, killing all who stood in our way, were still proud to be british DESPITE this history.

we still celebrate captain cook (indeed i live in captain cook land here) even tho his history is also steeped in land taking , theft and killing, should we not celebrate the exploration he undertook?

think theres only these 2 points that need replying to......

history................its not about celebrating, its about using the dolls for what they are.......dolls, letting the kids play with em, to them theyre just dolls, black dolls.........as somebody said is it better just to give them white dolls only? same as kids still get enid blyton books.........without the same racist crap i believe............should they be banned? or be deemed unnacetable? even without the racist crap (history)?

I feel your glossing over their history, you don't seem to feel this is important for some reason. This isn't about giving kids just white dolls at all, it's about not giving kids a gross caricature with a racist history. Children do still get Blyton's books but why do you think they removed all the racist parts? You can't separate the two Melt, one wouldn't exist without the other.

My stance is this, looking at their history and everything that comes with it, I feel that it's unacceptable.

being proud to be british was with the bit i wrote about the british empire, when the british army etc strode round the world taking over lands such as india, killing all who stood in our way, were still proud to be british DESPITE this history.

we still celebrate captain cook (indeed i live in captain cook land here) even tho his history is also steeped in land taking , theft and killing, should we not celebrate the exploration he undertook?

Again tho, that's one hell of wide brush to paint with and you are mixing a lot of complex topics into on short paragraph, it would take days to take it all apart and answer properly, so for now lets just stick to the topic at hand.

Archived