Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

I've still got a gollywog in my mums attic and read the E Blyton books as a child, however it never occoured to me that they were rasicst as I was too young to even contemplate that rasicsm existed , surely its just a depiction of a guy, if thats all you want it to be.

I understand your point Martin and kinda agree with it, but if I buy one for my child he will no doubt treat it just like his other doll (which has pink 'skin' and hair made from brown wool) isn't it surely a good thing that something with negative connotations (for those who remember them) is then used in a er, normal way?

iirc the swasticker was a peace symbol until it came to represent the nazi party, surely you would rather both became something other/better than what there commonly remembered for?

hope that was coherent.

as an aside, you say that golliwogs were based on a gross caricture of black people, as far as I remember; it was a round black head, black hair made from wool, big red smile and two buttons for eyes. you can only create so much with odds n sods from yer sewing bag, the Tomme Teepee doll my kids got is just the same but with white guy features and that came from waitrose.

......as an aside, you say that golliwogs were based on a gross caricture of black people, as far as I remember; it was a round black head, black hair made from wool, big red smile and two buttons for eyes. you can only create so much with odds n sods from yer sewing bag, the Tomme Teepee doll my kids got is just the same but with white guy features and that came from waitrose.

My mum made mine herself when I was little, knitted body, knitted removable clothes and stripey trousers :)

Thing is, there was a black lad in my class in the junior school (the only black lad in the class) ... he used to get verbally abused - I was the only one who stuck up for him.

I was also active in the Anti Racist Movement in Sheffield in the early eighties. (and CND/ANC)

Guess ******* didn't do me that much harm ;)

Hey Guys, I do understand your points and your history with the doll, I'm not bent out of shape over this, more just pointing out the history of where they came from and to think about the bigger picture rather than use your own subjective viewpoints.

Psyn, I know you can only do so much with your sewing box but I have pointed out several times where the idea for the doll came from and what it's actually based on, this has nothing to do with what was in your sewing box and everything to do with the Black and White Minstrels, that's a fact. And when you consider some of the things Blyton wrote, you surely can't pass this off as from the mind of an innocent because it wasn't.

People are mixing their own exp. with the doll with the actual question of if they are acceptable in this day and age. I've shown you some of the history of these things and it up to you to choose if it's acceptable.

In Huddersfield there is a shop which sells only black dolls, all individually made and expensive. I don't think they are offensive. They sell *******, caribbeans and some very nice looking deep south USA mamma ones. I often look in the shop with affection at the dolls. They do not seem racial at all. I have a golly because I like *******, always did. I had a black doll as a child because I couldn't see the reason why I always got bought a white one. I always asked for a black brother or sister (but I never got one). At a young age children don't see the difference unless it is drummed into them. On the local news up here it said a school doing a play with the 3 little pigs in it had to change it to 3 little doggies (on racial grounds). How absurd! Thank goodness the Head, teachers and families disagreed.

Archived