Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

• 3 years later...
On holiday recently, I passed a shop window sporting a colourful group of Golliwogs, all wearing jazzy bow ties and big, wide smiles :)

There was even a dreadocked Golli :)

So, after his/her loss of popularity/acceptability in the 80s-90s, I wondered what popular opinion is now regarding the Golliwog?

Love 'em, hate 'em, or can't see what all the fuss was about?

Not a troll post, and as Joep would say, can you all play nicely please :)

they scare me

they scare me
You scare me, a bit. What on earth were you searching for to unearth this, after more than 3 years? :confused:

I used to love my gollydoll just as much as I loved my teddybear and it never occurred to me that it was meant to represent a person at all. What sort of minds do some people have that equates a golly with a human being? :huh: Closet racists, who can't admit to themselves that they have prejudices?

You scare me, a bit. What on earth were you searching for to unearth this, after more than 3 years? :confused:

I used to love my gollydoll just as much as I loved my teddybear and it never occurred to me that it was meant to represent a person at all. What sort of minds do some people have that equates a golly with a human being? :huh: Closet racists, who can't admit to themselves that they have prejudices?

My kids (all boys) had dolls, black and white ones, my eldest had a white one with ginger hair, he called it Michael, even though it was female and he pushed it around in a buggy, I have a photograph of him with it as my screen saver-surprisingly he's a pretty well adjusted adult now...(thus far!)

My kids (all boys) had dolls, black and white ones, my eldest had a white one with ginger hair, he called it Michael, even though it was female and he pushed it around in a buggy, I have a photograph of him with it as my screen saver-surprisingly he's a pretty well adjusted adult now...(thus far!)

dont tell me, you whip the photo out occasionly to embarress him?

:P

my dad does that with me :P

dont tell me, you whip the photo out occasionly to embarress him?

..he went on to marry her mel, and they live in a Wendy House at the foot of the garden, there are some compensations-she's cheap to feed and never throws tantrums :hihi:

Archived