Golliwogs - love 'em or hate 'em?

...and since the thread has been resurrected...

can anyone verify this claim?

If you become a childminder by law you have to have a black doll and a white one

Can't see it myself but I'm willing to be corrected (and rather surprised).

...it's the sort of claim you'd find in the letters page of the Daily Mail, as an example of 'political correctness gone mad'!!

You scare me, a bit. What on earth were you searching for to unearth this, after more than 3 years? :confused:

I used to love my gollydoll just as much as I loved my teddybear and it never occurred to me that it was meant to represent a person at all. What sort of minds do some people have that equates a golly with a human being? :huh: Closet racists, who can't admit to themselves that they have prejudices?

The zeal of the newly reverted, ruby.:D

My kids (all boys) had dolls, black and white ones, my eldest had a white one with ginger hair, he called it Michael, even though it was female and he pushed it around in a buggy, I have a photograph of him with it as my screen saver-surprisingly he's a pretty well adjusted adult now...(thus far!)

My kids (all boys) - I thought that you only had 2. Anything that you'd care to share with us?

:D

I think that that applies to nurseries but I'm not sure about childminders.

I loved that cringe worthy scene in Extras when Maggie tried desperately hard to hide the gollywog from that sumptuous black man she was trying to seduce.

ETA: just found

on YouTube.

My kids (all boys) - I thought that you only had 2. Anything that you'd care to share with us?

:D

LOL..er, as opposed to all girls, or one of each! I also have a god son & daughter, but I cant count them as my own, the blonde hair and blue eyes gives it away :hihi:

LOL..er, as opposed to all girls, or one of each! I also have a god son & daughter, but I cant count them as my own, the blonde hair and blue eyes gives it away :hihi:

Not so, BF - my niece and nephew are ginger haired, blue eyed and alabaster white. Genes are a strange thing.

Archived