Tales of John Botros

windy

John M. Botros was born in Sheffield in July/August 1948 to an English mother and Egyptian father, Dr Labib Botros. He was at King Edward's with me from 1959 until 1966, and then went to Trinity College, Oxford. A lawyer and entrepreneur, it's quite true (as originally posted by vipguy - see link from post #2 above) that he was with the boxing promoter Frank Warren when he was shot and almost killed in 1989.

Would His Father Be Doctor Botros Lived In The Crabtree Area

Had Surgeries On Attercliffe Common And City Road.and Shiregreen.

The Graves A Fine And Peacefull Place

But Few I Think Do There Embrace

If he was Labib Botros, he also had a surgery in High Street, Ecclesfield.

Lived In Our Front Room On Don Road When He First

Came To Sheffield.my Dad Left Working For Doc Pettigrew?

To Drive Him About. He Later Learned To Drive But Allways

Drove With Choke Partly Out .dad Could Not Get Him Out

Of It .

Are You Well ? Im Still Here.!

• 2 weeks later...
Would His Father Be Doctor Botros Lived In The Crabtree Area

Had Surgeries On Attercliffe Common And City Road.and Shiregreen.

The Graves A Fine And Peacefull Place

But Few I Think Do There Embrace

Idid alot of building work for dr botros im the 50ties , built a large double garage at his home in crabtree lane john was only a small boy then, we agreed a price and after 2 days work he came on site and said he wanted 5 per cent reduction as i had cut the job to the bone to get the job i refused and told the lads to stop work and prepared to leave after we loaded the wagon he agreed, so we started again , the next day same again, and after 2days arguing i reduced the price , he was ok ater that all the jobs i did after 5per cent was put on thenknocked off , if john turned out dis honest , it was inbred, after 3years doing work for him i finally told him to get some one else who could afford to waste many hours arguing,Arthur.

• 1 year later...

I worked with John in 1972-73 at J P Pashley Linfoot & o in Queens Street Sheffield. He was a breath of fresh air among the stuffy male chauvanist pigs of the legal profession. He told me about his dad, Dr Botros, measuring out medicine in grams on some ancient old scales in his surgery. John was great and I miss him.

He used to live in a cottage called Little Chatsworth, its situated on the right, half way up the very steep hill between Millthorpe and Holmesfield. I remember him cycling down to play cricket for Holmesfield at Millthorpe. He attempted to hold his bat and the handlebars at the same time, the bat went through the front spokes, John went over the handlebars, he ended up in a right mess.

His big mate and drinking partner was a solicitor called Michael Wosskow who's offices were in the John Banner Centre, possibly still are. They used to bet on anything, I recall them coming into the Devonshire in Dore following watching Wednesday. They chalked their names up for a game of snooker and when it was their turn to make up a four Michael said "£10.00 a corner OK lads" to the opposing pair. When they had been well thrashed Michael went over and paid the £20.00, the victors were shocked as they thought he had been joking.