80's night without the cheese is this possible

t/lis

Considering house didnt really kick off till '89 is there such a thing as cheese free '80s music?
:huh: can i be the first to say that house has been around since the 70's.

its a great idea, theres loads of cheese free 80's music, most of the new romantics, electro and new wave of the early part of the decade alongside the emerging hip hop and rap scene (dj4321 knows more about that and can recommend tunes far better than me) coupled up with the rock and new wave of new wave of heavy metal (classic rock is your man!) and as the decade finished the entire indie and manchester scene which was interlinked with some of the best house and garage ever.

what you need is a dj who really knows his stuff when it comes to 80's. i recommend dj4321 he knows what he's talking about!

Was Going to mention depeche mode but most of the stuff from the 80's was cheddar it wasnt until early 90's and songs of faith and devotion / violator came out that they started making proper music

quite a few quality house tunes from the late 80's such as

raze - break for love

ralphi rosario - you used to love me

etc etc etc

most 80's stuff though was cheese on toast, saying that i think most of the house/minimal/electro stuff coming out over the last few years that people seem to think is underground is cheddar as well

To quote wiki:-

The British connection: late 1980s - early 1990s

In Britain the growth of house can be divided around the "Summer of Love" in 1988. House had a presence in Britain almost as early as it appeared in Chicago; however there was a strong divide between the House music as part of the gay scene and "straight" music. House grew in northern England, the Midlands and the South East. Founded in 1982 by Factory Records the Hacienda in Manchester became an extension of the "Northern Soul" genre and was one of the early, key English dance music clubs.

Until 1986 the club was financially troubled; the crowds only started to grow when the resident DJs (Pickering, Park and Da Silva) started to play house music. Many underground venues and DJ nights also took place across the UK like for instance the private parties hosted by an early Miss Moneypenny's contingent in Birmingham and many London venues. House was boosted in the UK by the tour in the same year of Knuckles, Jefferson, Fingers Inc. (Heard) and Adonis as the DJ International Tour.

I did say "kick off"

its a great idea, theres loads of cheese free 80's music, most of the new romantics, electro and new wave of the early part of the decade alongside the emerging hip hop and rap scene (dj4321 knows more about that and can recommend tunes far better than me) coupled up with the rock and new wave of new wave of heavy metal (classic rock is your man!) and as the decade finished the entire indie and manchester scene which was interlinked with some of the best house and garage ever.

what you need is a dj who really knows his stuff when it comes to 80's. i recommend dj4321 he knows what he's talking about!

Respect to you discodown; if u want to check an upfront set of 80's funk and electro funk and disco, u may catch me at DQ upstairs lounge before 12 or Townhouse / Puro Leeds every Saturday night. And yes there is a market for it. House heads love old skool house, disco and funk. There just tired of hearing the same old dry Chaka Khan, Joceylyn Brown and Luther Vandross track thats all.

Hi all,

Just been reading this thread with interest and especially the coments regarding the birth of British house music.

Chris, by 'kick off' are you referring specifically to the British public being prepared to pay hard earned wages to watch Pickering and his counterparts at the hacienda? If so then I take your point that certainly the mid to late 80s was something of a 'golden era' for clubbers. But surely it is still incorrect to suggest that the British public love affair with house music had not begun many years earlier in the late 70s as Discodown appears to be suggesting.

Admittedly, Britain did not have the pionerring d.js like Frankie Knuckles and Ron Hardy that Chicago enjoyed but if you want proof fo the extent to which early house was already being played in peoples homes and radios, surely the success of records such as Ian Drury, Donna Summer, Crown Heights Affair, Third World, Dan Hartman etc is evidence of this. i can't help thinking the term 'house' music is somewhat problematic since what we seem to be discussing is the emergence of a particular kind of dance music, heavily influenced by its disco predecessors. This is not really a case of a change in people's taste but really illustrates the emergence of a d.j as quite often becoming more influential and better known than the artist of the track he was playing.

I love the idea of a night that plays not just indie form the 80s but also really rare disco/dance gems. I'd love to get up and dance to some of the more 'dancy' Herbie Hancock or Loletta Holloway after a beer or two but having worked at quite a few venues I just can't imagine there'd be enough bums on seats for any club/bar to seriously consider this....lesser known 80s rock/maybe 70s glam though that could be a definate success if done properly.....

a few suggestions

napalm death, deicide, megadeth, metallica, early nirvana, simple minds, tears for fears(a bit of), depeche mode, neil young/crazy horse,

run dmc, beastie boys, herbie hancock (one tune, but its a belter), stetsasonic, tribe called quest, de la soul, 3rd bass, jungle brothers, ice t, nwa, hijack, boogie down productions, a guy called gerald, neneh cherry,

lots of pretty decent stuff came from that decade, and this list is tiny!

Archived