Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Hey all. I used to live in hackenthorpe from 68 to 79, first at 86 weakland cres then 5 weakland way, i'm richard long and have a sister called sarah. Used to go to birley spa. Went up that way last year an couldn't believe wot has happened to the area. Still got family in the area called holyhead.

You must know me Lostrider, Baz Glossop, my sister was Pat and my dad used to be the caretaker at Rainbow Forge in the 60's before I joined up, I used to knock about with Billy Brown, Mick Hall, Kev Butcher, John Gilliver, Ian Burkinshaw, Jean Cotham, well remember the townsend girls, and know most of the names you mentioned, Ago an old pal of mine Dave Payne we were all up pigs Lane at one time or another, don't recall you thoug, wats your surname.

Baz

I am Richard Hall and I use to go to school with your Pat & Billy Brown's brother Pete. I knew of you but I don't know if I ever met you Baz wasnt you in the merchant navy at one time?

I lived on the road below your dad's Carr Forge Mount. The David Payne you mentioned is that the lad who had a broken nose, if so I heard that he sadly passed away a few years back suddenly after a night out.

anyone remember holland family on delves drive ..joan an bill sadly bill passed away in feb..these are my nan an grandad they have a son gary holland an 4 daughters vicki who is my mom, gail, diane and angela..they lived there for as long as i remember even b4 i wa born..we all still live in hackenthorpe ...an the lees family well steven lees is my step dad..an they do still live down bottom end lol...x

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to the Village School, ..... Just at the entrance to the Village School next to the telephone box was a liitle shed where an old guy used to sell sweets. When ever I see a sherbet "Flying Saucer" it always reminds me of that sweet shop (Hut).

If I remember rightly that hut was run by the father of the guy who opened Elam's on Birley Spa Lane when those shops were built.

I remember the little kiosk because we used to buy small bottles of Tizer or Dandelion & Burdock after we had been playing i.e. (lighting fires/catapulting butterflies/catching grashoppers) in Bluebell Wood.

Tazz

If I remember rightly that hut was run by the father of the guy who opened Elam's on Birley Spa Lane when those shops were built.

I remember the little kiosk because we used to buy small bottles of Tizer or Dandelion & Burdock after we had been playing i.e. (lighting fires/catapulting butterflies/catching grashoppers) in Bluebell Wood.

Tazz

Bluebell Wood, I remember us making a rope swing from a tree, a really high one. Any way, rope broke and I ended up in the brambles below, landing on an old tin buried deep in the brambles.

It was one of those big catering cans, must have been there for years. It was all rusty with no label on and unopened.

Out came the trusty army knife, one of those with a big metal point for getting stones out of horses hooves. :hihi: It turned out to be a big tin of baked beans in perfect condition. Did we think about food poisoning, salmonella, yes for about half a second then we all stuck our hands in ate the whole tin. :gag:

It never did us any harm anyway, well apart from the trouser burps. :hihi:

• 5 weeks later...
I was talking to Bill Burdett in the Blue Bell this week and he says he would love to hear from you. He lives at 26 Cotleigh Avenue and his phone number is 248 6014.

Just found this post. Bill Burdett and I were an item back in the 60's. I often wonder what happened to him and his family, Mum, Dad, Julie and Andrew. Perhaps if you see him again you could tell him. My name was Skinner then.

Just found this post. Bill Burdett and I were an item back in the 60's. I often wonder what happened to him and his family, Mum, Dad, Julie and Andrew. Perhaps if you see him again you could tell him. My name was Skinner then.

I'll probably see him tomorrow so I will pass on your message.