Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I went to RF in 1961. My teachers were Ms Cooper (short tempered), year 1, Miss Blakely (very short tempered & handy with the slipper) year 2, Mrs Maxtead( short tempered, dangerous and handy with the 12" ruler) year 3, Mr Driscol (brilliant) year 4. There was another year 4 teacher, Mr Taylor. Miss Cantor was ace, even though she gave me the slipper during morning assembly in front of the whole school. And I was innocent!!!!!!!!

My Mother and Father-in-law have lived in Hackenthorpe years - Olga and John Hatch (i'm with their son John) I'm a newcomer to the area (moved here nov 2009) and i have to say I LOVE IT! We were so lucky to get a house on Delves drive, I'm happy that our daughter will be growing up here.. Anyone know Olga or John?

my wife knows your mum olga very well as they worked together at marks and spencers.your mums parents back garden backed onto my parents back garden. i knew your grandad flinders well and always looked for his mobility scooter outside the blue bell pub. great days

My Mother and Father-in-law have lived in Hackenthorpe years - Olga and John Hatch (i'm with their son John) I'm a newcomer to the area (moved here nov 2009) and i have to say I LOVE IT! We were so lucky to get a house on Delves drive, I'm happy that our daughter will be growing up here.. Anyone know Olga or John?

Ask Olga "Polly" Flinders if she remembers me Alan Burke off Delves Avenue. We started at Carter lodge in 1964 together in Miss Browns class. Does she remember Christine Andrews?

Edited by Lostrider

Hackenthorpe and Zakes.

Part 12 Early 60’s

I surely remember at Birley Spa Juniors us youngsters going on several outings and not just the usual but enjoyable nature walks down near the Julius Caesar sauna in Birley Spa woods and pressing leaves and flowers in books afterwards, but to places like Blithfield Hall, The Major Oak in the forests of Nottinghamshire and searching for a robbing hoodie, Botanical Gardens in Sheffield with many exotic birds flying about in the big glass houses (mini Kew Gardens). All by charabanc.

We nippers also had the chance at Birley Spa School to open up our very first savings aount, with Yorkshire Penny Bank(?), I think a tanner a week was suggested. Anybody recall?

In the final year at Birley Spa a pair of lads in my class came to school one day both with an unusual hairstyle and all greased up. I asked them what it was all about and they told me it was the latest fashion for kids, a Tony Curtis (Bernard Schwartz) cut. I was due for a haircut and later asked me mum for some money for a Tony Curtis and I got the dosh but was ordered to have the usual short, back and sides. I didn’t even have the nerve to ask if I could have a haircut with square neck or a crew cut.

Finally for this part:- What determined which school each individual child was to attend at Junior level? Was there an invisible line across the Hackenthorpe estate and whoever lived below the line went to Rainbow Forge and the others went to Birley Spa? Serious question!!

There was indeed an invisible line! The catchment area for Birley Spa Juniors ended on the School side of Jermyn Cres. I lived on the other side and had to go to Birley Juniors. Always amazed me living opposite a school and not being able to go to it

in the late50s and early 60s there were no shops on birley spa lane only a wooden hut where the bus stop is.it was owned by harry ellam and his wife.when the shops were being built we used to play football infront of them untill one evening PCSpears caught us and because i was the tallest(not oldest) he clipped me round the earhole.when the shops were built ellams moved to where the paper shop is now.it was managed by miles cooper.they also opened a butchers shop.Howards cycle shop moved to where the betting shop is now.where the club was there was a farm with pig;s in the field. the other side of well lane there was also a farm where the flats are.on the other side of the road where the the doctors and chemist is there were barns and behind them there was an orchard which we called paradise.next on was the methordist church which was knocked down about 1963 and moved near plover pub.I played football for the meths in the church boys league(under14).names i remember are Daryl Bower/Paul Else/Masters twins/Dave Watson/Paul wilson(who became the village blacksmith)/Bob Kay and Frank Bonnington who played in glasses

We lived at 48 Rainbow Avenue from about 1954. Next door were the Smiths across the road the Goff's, and Colgrave's. Also nearby the Smedley's. Well remember the paraffin man and the mobile shop. I first went to Renishaw school then Rainbow Forge and Carter Lodge. Does anyone remember the button factory? We used to walk over to Woodhouse past the old pit. Also remember the village PC, caught me smoking and I also got a clip round the ear as well as having to throw the cigs away!

My dad had a motor bike but he had to walk half a mile to get it from the garage every morning. Mum died in 1959 we left and went to the Manor in 1960 to Fairfax Road.

Edited by scallywags
corrections