Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Dear LeBaron, that is a fab photo, old and tattered, but holding the best of memories, i'm sure you must treasure it. You are right, i was in same year as those you mentioned, it's lovely to have a nudge at the grey matter, the more i read, the more i remember. Am SO glad i stumbled on this Hackenthorpe forum.

Did anyone go into the Blue Bell mid sixty's to see a soul band, my sister and i were big fans, and people used to come from all over to see them, but, i just can't bring the name to mind.

I can't remember the fight you mentioned, but then ( and now) do not like violence in any way, shape or form. Hope you have outgrown that part of your life!!!!!

Memari Laine

I had my first glass of beer at the Bell in the 60s, we used to hang around the double doors at the side, being far too young to venture in, listening to FRANK WHITE double armed guitar and top hat, a lass called Margaret Handley used to buy us half a Stones and bring it out. We also used to listen to Joe Cocker as well I was only about 9 or 10 at the time but remember it well, ma and Pa being next door in the Sportsman.

No don't fight anymore nor have I since my Army days, boxed a lot in the Army, that was enough for me. Any how hope Frank White was the Band you remember, he is still playing today round and about Sheffield.

All the Best

Baz

Hi LeBaron, The band i meant only played Soul stuff, they were not as good as Frank, but good in their own vein. My brother played in Franks band, when he used to do the Lane top venue, and a few other places.

Now and again, my sister and i venture to Crystal Peaks, and going so near to the old stomping ground always makes me feel comfortable, like putting on a pair of slippers when you've been on your feet all day, haha!

Mem

Just been having a browse through some past messages,

Sandie ( Dave Theaker), It's Robert Havenhand that is the brother of Lynda, there was also a younger sister, Janice. Don't know if you still follow this site.

Yes I still follow the site I remember your sister Lynda and also you.

Your family lived at the end of Delves Drive at the side of the ginel leading up to Garlic & Russel shop at the back of the Hogs Head pub. I went to school with your sister, Rainbow Forge then Carter Lodge.

The other kids in the street were Peter White, Tony Makenson, and sadly Gerald Smith who passed away. Also there was Peter Townsend.

I left before the garages were built and we lived at 33 Delves Drive and if I remember the Hamblets moved in, I forgot the Bailis girls who lived athe house at the side of the ginel at the end of the culdisac of Delves Drive.

There are so many people I remember and it is good to hear from you.

Take care Dave

Oops, sorry Dave, mistaken identity, I meant Lynda's brother is called Robert. I was a neighbour, and used to hang around with Lynda, on and off, they moved to Beighton, and the last i knew, Lynda was still living there.

The Whites moved to the Vic Hallam houses. I went to live abroad 1970, and lost contact with so many people, so this site really brings back the memories!

Regards Memari Laine

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with memari laine, lets keep the stories of Hackenthorpe alive. I moved into Springwater area at the age of 10 in 1954 and left at the age of 26, sixteen great years, is anyone out there from that area of Hackenthorpe.

Edited by gregconn
spelling

Don't know what happened to Marie,or the rest of the family,moved in early 70s.lived on Carr forge rd,and used to cut through their back garden to get to the chippie on a night time.

HI im DARREN HUMPHREYS ,,MY FAMILY ARE ALL OK REMEMEBER MY ROOTS DOWN THERE (RAINBOW AVE) HOGGY SPORSTMAN THE BELL... WAS GREAT TIMES ... READING THESES POSTS KNOWING SO MANY PEOPLE.... THE GUY TALKING ABOUT MY AUNT SOO FUNNY LOL....