Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Hi I'm Ian Sands and I went to birley spa school around 1966 t0 1970 and I have some great memories of that school, the kids I remember most are Steven Dicks with who I was pals with all the way through my school years. Mark Ashton, Andrew Hull, Andrew Pridmore, Ian Steel, Ian Wood, William Simpson, Vicky Bates, Jaqueline Griffith, Ann Round and Catherine Grayson. The teachers I remember most are Miss Maxfield, I thought she was a bitch. Mr Kennedy, he was a nutcase, Mr August, great teacher. Mr Jephson, another good teacher. and the head teacher who all the kids seemed to love, Mr Rawlings. Another name I remember is Mrs Dyson but she wasn't a teacher.

Hi just a bit off the track but does anyone know someone with the name of yan from birley or hackenthorpe in the late 60s ,was waiting for the last bus at birley terminal one night and he came up to me and smacked in the mouth for no reason ,lwas 16 he would have been about 18 well im ready to repay him hed be about 68 now and i reckon i could take him now,ps i now live in oz:

For those on FACEBOOK, don't forget there is a site dedicated to Old Hackenthorpe called HACKENTHORPE REMEMBERED which now has 2,236 members with thousands of photographs. Why not join and share yore memories, photos & videos. Click on the link below::

Hackenthorpe Remembered

Edited by Lostrider

I didn@t live in Hackenthorpe but had a friend called Martin Lawler who lived on Jermyn and I played in the under 18's league I think for Drakehouse Celtic(mid to late 60's). He went to Silver Blades ice rink and had a friend called Kenny I am Derek Yeardley.

I got a good kicking on my way home from school once or twice for no reason at all when I went to birley spa school. I'd love to bump into one or two of them now to find out if they're as tough as they thought they were then. My brother 8 years older than me bumped into one of his tormentors in a pub around the late 70s. his name was simonite, he was sat at a table and my brother leaned over grabbed him and lifted him up to find he had no legs, with great disappointment he released him and left the pub after telling simonite he was very lucky he had no legs.

Hey slogger good on your brother ,there is karma after all that name simmonite i remember the name. A michael simmonite if im right lived on silkstone cres had a brother as well think they were pretty rough maybe we could put a bounty up to get rid of all the arseholes out there that made our lives hell

Hiya Stephen 7, slogger here that bounty idea sounds good. If there is karma I hope he lost his arms as well later in life. wonder if they still live on silkstone crescent. with luck they met their end they do say what goes around comes around.

Didn't live up there,but hung around with 3 girls from there ,back in 72/3, one, Hilary Page, lived on Birley Spa Lane.

The other 2 girls were sisters, Karen and ,I think,Lynn. We used to meet every Saturday morning at Sheaf Valley baths, hanging around Pond Street and at the back of the old Top Rank / Fiesta buildings, then,one Saturday, they didn't turn up,and we never saw them again.....

I've often wondered what became of them.

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 23:14 ----------

Yes, they lived on the oppsoite side of the road to me.

I think David is a tatooist, and of course everyone remembers Sam, he used to hang around with our group. Always good for a laugh he didnt half get up to some stunts. He would do anything you dared him to do. If anybody made any remarks about Sam while he was with us, they got a good kicking. Any idea what happened to Sam, I haven't seen him for over 35 years.

Isn't David "Sam"?

Bob is the tattooist,last known to be in Worksop, I knew him from the fairground in the late 70's, early 80's.

Didn't live up there,but hung around with 3 girls from there ,back in 72/3, one, Hilary Page, lived on Birley Spa Lane.

The other 2 girls were sisters, Karen and ,I think,Lynn. We used to meet every Saturday morning at Sheaf Valley baths, hanging around Pond Street and at the back of the old Top Rank / Fiesta buildings, then,one Saturday, they didn't turn up,and we never saw them again.....

I've often wondered what became of them.

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 23:14 ----------

Isn't David "Sam"?

Bob is the tattooist,last known to be in Worksop, I knew him from the fairground in the late 70's, early 80's.

Yes, you are probably right.