Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Back in the 1950s I remember visiting friends of my parents at Carr Forge Mount.

They were Albert and Beatrice Smith and their children were Jacqueline and George.

Not seen Jacqueline or George for about 60 years and was wondering how their lives had turned out.

I think that Hackeylad is from Hackenthorpe.

• 2 weeks later...

Harvey19, There is another thread...Anybody from Hackenthorpe? by Zumba Zebra. Don't forget the ? There are 68 pages of posts by Hackenthorpians. Do a search. You may get a better response there than on the thread you have started. Put your original post on there. Good luck. Oh, dont forget to read my 60 odd posts I put on the thread lol.

8 minutes ago, zakes said:

Harvey19, There is another thread...Anybody from Hackenthorpe? by Zumba Zebra. Don't forget the ? There are 68 pages of posts by Hackenthorpians. Do a search. You may get a better response there than on the thread you have started. Put your original post on there. Good luck. Oh, dont forget to read my 60 odd posts I put on the thread lol.

Thank you.

The send off for David Wharram aka Dido, went down well. I met his younger brother Tony. Tony and I were in the same class at Rainbow Forge Infants, and later at Birley Spa Junior School in the early 60s.

Dave Wharram, with his parents,was a 4 year old boy when they moved to Hackenthorpe in 1952, bottom end of Carr Forge Rooad. I'm not quite sure but believe they had lived at Wood'us. At this time the long row of shops on Birley Spa Lane hadn't been built by then. This was before Tony was born in 1954.

At the wake I met Hackeylad and had a short conversation. I also met the famous Brian, who was best mates with Dido for many years. I met others including a mate of Brian's, Dave,who likes a bet on the horses. Another chap I met was a fellow who lives near Brian. This bloke told me he'd had a heart attack about a year ago. We had a good natter and I found him to be a nice person. Pity I didn't get his name.

The 'Do' was in the back room at The Sportsman, on Main Street. This room used to have a full sized snooker table in it. I noticed the room had a decent stage, perfect for live music. The room is also ideal, and would also be perfect for strippers on a Sunday  dinner time.

The occasion was well attended and there was plenty of food, weshed down with a few pints of Stooooonses bitter.

It is not undeliberate that I haven't mentioned the names of some other attendees lol.

Sleep peacefully David 'Dido' Wharram.