Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I know this is a long shot but I used to work  in the saw trade in the mid 1960s with a lad called Pete who lived in the maisonettes at Hackenthorpe. He will be in his 70s now and can't remember his surname but remember we had some good times.

Edited by harvey19

9 minutes ago, zakes said:

The send off for David Wharram aka Dido, went down well. I met his younger brother Tony. Tony and I were in the same class at Rainbow Forge Infants, and later at Birley Spa Junior School in the early 60s.

Dave Wharram, with his parents,was a 4 year old boy when they moved to Hackenthorpe in 1952, bottom end of Carr Forge Rooad. I'm not quite sure but believe they had lived at Wood'us. At this time the long row of shops on Birley Spa Lane hadn't been built by then. This was before Tony was born in 1954.

At the wake I met Hackeylad and had a short conversation. I also met the famous Brian, who was best mates with Dido for many years. I met others including a mate of Brian's, Dave,who likes a bet on the horses. Another chap I met was a fellow who lives near Brian. This bloke told me he'd had a heart attack about a year ago. We had a good natter and I found him to be a nice person. Pity I didn't get his name.

The 'Do' was in the back room at The Sportsman, on Main Street. This room used to have a full sized snooker table in it. I noticed the room had a decent stage, perfect for live music. The room is also ideal, and would also be perfect for strippers on a Sunday  dinner time.

The occasion was well attended and there was plenty of food, weshed down with a few pints of Stooooonses bitter.

It is not undeliberate that I haven't mentioned the names of some other attendees lol.

Sleep peacefully David 'Dido' Wharram.

Pleased to meet you mate . Sorry we didn't have much of a chat , thats my fault because it felt strange meeting another forum member face to face . 

I can understand you not mentioning the names of the ne'er do wells 😀

Yes  , old Dido had a good send off .

Keep writing your brilliant tales , and take care 

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Pleased to meet you mate . Sorry we didn't have much of a chat , thats my fault because it felt strange meeting another forum member face to face . 

I can understand you not mentioning the names of the ne'er do wells 😀

Yes  , old Dido had a good send off .

Keep writing your brilliant tales , and take care 

I went to a couple of Forum meets several years ago and it was strange meeting other members face to face.

They were very friendly affairs and everyone got on with each other and newcomers were made welcome.

Almost all of these people have left the forum now.

Edited by harvey19

Hackeylad, I can understand your feeling of shock, surprise or possibly intimidation? Many Forum people have felt the same when they have met me, except the women. They usually faintly swoon lol. Coming across someone you've had conflict with ont Forum can be quite scary.

We often try to imagine what other Forum members look like which I enjoy doing. When you meet them eventually they look entirely different to how you thought they would look lol. One can glean snippets of what some may look like by reading their posting history... like when you read they look like Grizzly Adams for example lol.

You are the 32nd Forum member I've come across. Use number 32 next time you fill in a lottery ticket..it may help lol. Most of the 32 I found quite nice, but some I really liked, and there were others I'd rather have not met. Some favourites are/were
Monzaman, cuttsie, Potlegs, Alextopman and Web1 (Luke before you leap), and Robbi Lovin.

I think Dido's send off was well visited, although I have the impression that the ones who didn't, prefered to sup that afternoon in The Birley because the beer is cheaper.

Was Celtic Dave at the wake? Was Tojo there? or one you perhaps don't know, Arnie, the dancer who lives on Base Green?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zakes said:

Hackeylad, I can understand your feeling of shock, surprise or possibly intimidation? Many Forum people have felt the same when they have met me, except the women. They usually faintly swoon lol. Coming across someone you've had conflict with ont Forum can be quite scary.

We often try to imagine what other Forum members look like which I enjoy doing. When you meet them eventually they look entirely different to how you thought they would look lol. One can glean snippets of what some may look like by reading their posting history... like when you read they look like Grizzly Adams for example lol.

You are the 32nd Forum member I've come across. Use number 32 next time you fill in a lottery ticket..it may help lol. Most of the 32 I found quite nice, but some I really liked, and there were others I'd rather have not met. Some favourites are/were
Monzaman, cuttsie, Potlegs, Alextopman and Web1 (Luke before you leap), and Robbi Lovin.

I think Dido's send off was well visited, although I have the impression that the ones who didn't, prefered to sup that afternoon in The Birley because the beer is cheaper.

Was Celtic Dave at the wake? Was Tojo there? or one you perhaps don't know, Arnie, the dancer who lives on Base Green?

Celtic Dave and Tojo were not there .  I believe that was because Tony was holding another wake /get together in the Birley on the Monday and that is their pub of choice .  Yes Grizzly Adams is very apt  :thumbsup:

Hello Harvey19, You mentioned a fellow called Pete you worked with on Copper Street and that Pete lived on Hackenthorpe in some maisonettes. On which road were the maisonettes situated? I lived on Hackenthorpe atween 1960-65 and don't recall the maisonettes. I see you edited your post.

Regarding George Smith of Carr Forge Mount. You could try the main library in Sheffield, on Surrey Street. On the first floor is the Local Studies department, and they have the electoral lists going back many years. The librarians will help if you ask them. Remember to allow for the fact that nobody is listed until they are 18 years old. Please let me know if a Martin Smith appears, who may be a younger brother of good old George. Martin would first appear in the 1973 electoral list.

Going to the library will give you some good exercise which is far better than being sat at home on your computer, trying to convince people that the politics you follow is the best thing since sliced bread...medium sliced wholemeal for me please.

I once had a mate called Harvey. Harvey Rogers was his full name,and lived with his family at Gleadless Townend. The family,along with Harvey, moved away to Coventry where they had lived afore. Harvey was a good lad, and I missed him very much after he had gone. I consoled myself by buying myself a big bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream at the off licence on Gleadless Mount.

Good luck to you in your search for George Smith.  

50 minutes ago, zakes said:

We often try to imagine what other Forum members look like which I enjoy doing. 

I'm the same Zakes,

I've met a few very likeable forum posters, but one poster always fascinates me, I always imagine him crouched over his computer wearing a Deer stalker hat and smoking a pipe, searching out any anomalies.

I refer to him as Mr. Bergerac cus he's a bit of a sleuth.

13 hours ago, zakes said:

Hello Harvey19, You mentioned a fellow called Pete you worked with on Copper Street and that Pete lived on Hackenthorpe in some maisonettes. On which road were the maisonettes situated? I lived on Hackenthorpe atween 1960-65 and don't recall the maisonettes. I see you edited your post.

Regarding George Smith of Carr Forge Mount. You could try the main library in Sheffield, on Surrey Street. On the first floor is the Local Studies department, and they have the electoral lists going back many years. The librarians will help if you ask them. Remember to allow for the fact that nobody is listed until they are 18 years old. Please let me know if a Martin Smith appears, who may be a younger brother of good old George. Martin would first appear in the 1973 electoral list.

Going to the library will give you some good exercise which is far better than being sat at home on your computer, trying to convince people that the politics you follow is the best thing since sliced bread...medium sliced wholemeal for me please.

I once had a mate called Harvey. Harvey Rogers was his full name,and lived with his family at Gleadless Townend. The family,along with Harvey, moved away to Coventry where they had lived afore. Harvey was a good lad, and I missed him very much after he had gone. I consoled myself by buying myself a big bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream at the off licence on Gleadless Mount.

George did not have a younger brother just a sister.

I have visited the local studies library and the archives many times.

I edited the saw trade post as I thought a more general trade description would be better..

it is a long time ago but I am sure it was a maisonette he lived in was about 1966/7 and it may have been The Birley we drank in.

Edited by harvey19

Harvey19, In those days you speak of, Hackenthorpe was in North East Derbyshire until 1967. Electoral lists were, and still are kept at Matlock library. But before traipsing to Matlock, try first Chesterfield library.

I once acquired info at Chesterfield library, although the gen should have been at Matlock. It was the electoral list from 1964. I wanted to see if the Zakes phratry was in the list. They were.