Sir Henry Stephenson

Roger_B

Does anyone know anything about Sir Henry Stephenson?

I know that he lived on Endcliffe Vale Road and that he was Mayor of Sheffield in 1886.

Can anyone point me in the direction of more detailed information?

I'm particularly interested in his house and its grounds.

• 3 weeks later...

The 1876 Directory Gives A Henry Stephenson Type Founder, On Endcliffe Vale Road Seams To Be A Connection With Stephenson Blake Type Founders Sheffield And London.. Sir John Brown Lived Next Door ,

The 1876 Directory Gives A Henry Stephenson Type Founder, On Endcliffe Vale Road Seams To Be A Connection With Stephenson Blake Type Founders Sheffield And London.. Sir John Brown Lived Next Door ,

The name Stephenson is carved in the frieze above the main entrance to Sheffield Town Hall. It's the only name on the right hand side and on the left hand side are the names of 5 Victorian scientists and inventors. The town hall was built around the time Stephenson was mayor. At first I thought it was the inventor of trains, but of course he was Stevenson - different spelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much. Since my original post, I've done some research at the Local Studies Library:

"Henry Stephenson (1827 - 1904) was the co-owner of Stephenson Blake Typefounders, at that time the world’s largest manufacturer of metal type. As well as being a successful businessman, Stephenson was also known for his public works. He was elected as a councillor in 1883 and served as mayor in 1886, receiving a knighthood in the same year (Odom, 1926).

From the street directories held at Sheffield Local Studies Library, it appears that Henry Stephenson first moved to Endcliffe Vale Road in the early 1860s. In 1865 and 1868 his residence is listed as “The Grove”; in 1883 it is listed as “Holly Bank”. The earliest reference to “The Glen” can be found in the 1888 directory.

In 1900 Henry Stephenson was “stricken with paralysis” (Odom, 1926). Although he made a partial recovery, he died four years later at the age of 78. His widow, Emma Stephenson, resided at The Glen until her death in 1921. Their son, Henry Kenyon Stephenson (1865 - 1947), lived at Hassop Hall in Derbyshire."

Archived