Fly tipping a disgrace

There have been some problems with what constitutes fly tipping that have skewed the figures reported for Sheffield. For example, Sheffield Homes staff were reporting every black bag that was left out by residents and not collected as a separate incident of fly tipping, so our figures were disproportionately high. After checking with other authorities up and down the Country, it's clear that similar examples were not recorded. This was picked up back in October so future figures will reflect a significant decrease.

Having said that, I accept that there is still more to do to reduce the problem of fly tipping. If you are aware of fly tipping, I'd urge everyone to report through to Streetforce so that it can be removed.

The Council has recently secured funding for new compact wireless cameras for use in covert situations to try and catch tippers in the act. There are a number of 'known' spots where the use of cameras is proposed; any further intelligence regarding similar sites, or of people involved in tipping, is welcomed.

The Council has recently secured funding for new compact wireless cameras for use in covert situations to try and catch tippers in the act. There are a number of 'known' spots where the use of cameras is proposed; any further intelligence regarding similar sites, or of people involved in tipping, is welcomed.

Will they be hidden in baked bean tins?

Link :rolleyes:

I don't understand stuff like this. Sheffield makes it so easy to dispose of unwanted goods at recycling centres.

Fine if you have a car to get you there. Useless if you don't drive and, with collections being reduced to once a fortnight, your refuse bin isn't big enough.

Businesses are not allowed to use the recycling centres and have to pay for waste removal.

Every time I go to Blackstock rd there are builders/plumbers/gardeners etc. unloading their vans. I've seen them slip a wad of notes to the guys who work there before unloading.

Every time I go to Blackstock rd there are builders/plumbers/gardeners etc. unloading their vans. I've seen them slip a wad of notes to the guys who work there before unloading.

Then perhaps the 'dumpit' sites might be a better place for the secret cameras ? ;)

There ought to be a bounty payable to anyone filming flytippers in action, showing faces and reg numbers. Say £500 reward on conviction, and 6 months hard labour - picking crap up - for the offenders....to be televised and shown repeatedly on primetime TV. The offender's vehicle to be crushed whether hired or not.

And that's for the first offence. :thumbsup:

This is a good idea. Ive a feeling I could make quite a killing round here.

I live close to a spot regularly used by Fly tippers.

I've caught several tippers, photographed them and their vehicles, gathered evidence from the tipping including MOT certificates and invoices.

When I rang the environmental services department I was rebuked for gathering the evidence because it was their job !!!

If I leave it for them to gather the evidence they always either say 'There was no evidence' or highways collected it and disposed of it before we got there.

I've even had to remind them of the law (They can seize and impound vehicles involved in fly-tipping), the council officers in Sheffield just do not care.

Most of the people that dump near me are tradesmen in white vans that have been turned away from Blackstock road tip. THey charge the customer to dispose of rubbish then dump it where they can avoiding paying fees and increasing their profits.

I also regularly see large numbers of old tyres tipped , they cost at least 60p each to dispose of, save 60p by fly tipping them.