The Late Trudy Sargent

One of the most bitter and unacceptable ironies of this sometimes rotten world is that those who cherish life so much, often have it taken away from them at a tragically early age.

One such person was teenager Trudy Sargent who was in my Maths' set in her first year at High Storrs School in the late 70's. I am reminded of Trudy's sad passing by some moving words in The Star's 'Memoriam' column relating that Trudy died on 17 March 1986.

For those who are reluctant members of that wretched club, that of losing a minor - sadly an ever-increasing membership - must be one of the worst experiences extant. Having a healthy daughter born six months after Trudy's sad passing makes me all too aware of the grief and sorrow such an experience can leave one with.

The Sargents can take heart from the fact that there will be many others who, 21 years down the line, still remember their wide-eyed and cheerful daughter with much fondness during her all too few, tender years.

One of the most bitter and unacceptable ironies of this sometimes rotten world is that those who cherish life so much, often have it taken away from them at a tragically early age.

One such person was teenager Trudy Sargent who was in my Maths' set in her first year at High Storrs School in the late 70's. I am reminded of Trudy's sad passing by some moving words in The Star's 'Memoriam' column relating that Trudy died on 17 March 1986.

For those who are reluctant members of that wretched club, that of losing a minor - sadly an ever-increasing membership - must be one of the worst experiences extant. Having a healthy daughter born six months after Trudy's sad passing makes me all too aware of the grief and sorrow such an experience can leave one with.

The Sargent's can take heart from the fact that there will be many others who, 21 years down the line, still remember their wide-eyed and cheerful daughter with much fondness during her all too few, tender years.

---

A touching tribute. Well written to the extent that I feel like I almost know Trudy without having actually met her.

---

A touching tribute. Well written to the extent that I feel like I almost know Trudy without having actually met her.

Many thanks for those comments and the same applies to parents of other children, and there's about five (and I can clearly picture them as well) who lost their lives whilst pupils at High Storrs School in the 70/80's. This particular phenomenon is one I have great difficulty in coming to terms with and I just hope I never experience it personally.

• 11 months later...

The Sargents can take heart from the fact that there will be many others who, 21 years down the line, still remember their wide-eyed and cheerful daughter with much fondness during her all too few, tender years.

hi ,i went to school with trudy

she was a lovely sweet girl.was terrible to hear she had passed away

god only takes the best

now your a real angel trudy ,sleep well xx

hi ,i went to school with trudy

she was a lovely sweet girl.was terrible to hear she had passed away

god only takes the best

now your a real angel trudy ,sleep well xx

Was that at primary school or were you at High Storrs?

Must be going back 25 years now but I can still recall Trudy's sweet smile. Tragic to lose someone so young. "God only takes the best" are words I've heard several times but I'm afraid they fail to placate me however well they are intended.

Archived