Is Michael Palin a Wednesdayite?

I was watching a re-run of Pole to Pole last night and it was the one where Michael Palin passes through Ethiopia and crosses the equator. On one of his stops he gets talking to a 'local' about english football and (surprisingly) the local is a Man Utd fan!:rolleyes: ...Anyway, Palin says: 'My team is Sheffield Wednesday, we beat Manchester Utd in the league cup final last season'

I know some think he's a Blady but I think this proves t'old MP is a good old Owl!:thumbsup:

He's one of those that supports both teams (i didn't realise it was possible!!).

In Around the World in 80 Days he finds a trophy whilst working with the binmen in Venice and holds it up in the air proclaiming SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY! Also mentions Wednesday in Pole to Pole to some Norwegian bloke in the first episode. Yet on one of his later journeys he drives a Tuk-Tuk in Thailand with Sheffield United banners all over it so you could say he's AC/DC as far as Sheffield football clubs go ;)

Either that or the Blades have got a sweatshop full of ladyboys over there that make there merchandise and it was just stuff they had laying around!

Les! I watched a bit of that last night and must have missed it! Our lass was gabbing to her mate on the phone at the time! Grrrrr.

That would have made my ****ing night!

LOL!:hihi: ... I know it was 1991 but still felt really proud when he said it. :thumbsup:

My late father had Palin's Around The World In 80 Days book (c. 1988/9) and I recall reading a section where he mentions that the only bit of good news he has received of late (by way of press IIRC) is that Sheffield United had beaten Wolves.

Whether that makes him a Blades fan I know not as like others have said, I seem to recall his claiming to be an Owls fan (too).

Maybe he was suffering from serious homesickness and simply wanted to attach himself to anything 'Sheffield'?

Whoever he supports, I like Michael Palin; top bloke.:thumbsup:

Whether that makes him a Blades fan I know not as like others have said, I seem to recall his claiming to be an Owls fan (too).

Maybe he was suffering from serious homesickness and simply wanted to attach himself to anything 'Sheffield'?

Whoever he supports, I like Michael Palin; top bloke.:thumbsup:

Totally agree; what a legend! Loved the Posh twits decathlon where he was Roger Incubator Jones & when he played Caesar in 'Life of Brian'. "Does anwone else fancy a little titter, when I mention the name of my fwiend, Bigus...Dickus?" :hihi:

If I was homesick, thinking of United would probably make me gip. :help:

If I was homesick, thinking of United would probably make me gip. :help:

So Jazzy, you're in the Sahara Desert and your camel decides she doesn't want to walk any further. The camel, being sponsored by JD Wetherspoon has a sign attached to its side which reads No Football Colours and as you're in your Wendy shirt, Camilla the Camel has suddenly taken offence.

You're stranded. The sun beats down and you're miles from the nearest oasis, town or taliban internet service provider. Day turns into night and the next day, a-hungered, you do a 'Bear Grille' (he of Channel 4 survival lunatic fame) and slice open Camilla in order to feed yourself.

Suddenly, you hear the sound of a...wait, is that a bus? Much to your surprise you realise that only a few yards ahead is a main road and, surprised further, you see that travelling upon it is a coach!

You jump for joy, you shout aloud 'I'm saved' and you start running toward the road (managing to step over the butchered carcass of Camilla. Oh well, so long old chum).

You wave frantically at the bus, jumping up and down in the middle of the sun-baked highway. The bus slows down. It comes to a halt.

In the lower corner of the window is a plastic sign. It reads Sheffield United FC and on board is the team travelling back from a pre-season friendly in Cairo. There's one space left on board. The door opens and you feel immediately chilled by the air conditioning. You spot the fridge filled with ice cold beer.

But! But! You know you can't do it. Do you

a) climb on board and apologise for the choice of shirt and ask for a proper one? or is it

b) back to Camilla's carcass and oblivion in the wilderness (a catch phrase one has become familiar with being a Wendy fan)?

Pray, tell me.

So Jazzy, you're in the Sahara Desert and your camel decides she doesn't want to walk any further. The camel, being sponsored by JD Wetherspoon has a sign attached to its side which reads No Football Colours and as you're in your Wendy shirt, Camilla the Camel has suddenly taken offence.

You're stranded. The sun beats down and you're miles from the nearest oasis, town or taliban internet service provider. Day turns into night and the next day, a-hungered, you do a 'Bear Grille' (he of Channel 4 survival lunatic fame) and slice open Camilla in order to feed yourself.

Suddenly, you hear the sound of a...wait, is that a bus? Much to your surprise you realise that only a few yards ahead is a main road and, surprised further, you see that travelling upon it is a coach!

You jump for joy, you shout aloud 'I'm saved' and you start running toward the road (managing to step over the butchered carcass of Camilla. Oh well, so long old chum).

You wave frantically at the bus, jumping up and down in the middle of the sun-baked highway. The bus slows down. It comes to a halt.

In the lower corner of the window is a plastic sign. It reads Sheffield United FC and on board is the team travelling back from a pre-season friendly in Cairo. There's one space left on board. The door opens and you feel immediately chilled by the air conditioning. You spot the fridge filled with ice cold beer.

But! But! You know you can't do it. Do you

a) climb on board and apologise for the choice of shirt and ask for a proper one? or is it

b) back to Camilla's carcass and oblivion in the wilderness (a catch phrase one has become familiar with being a Wendy fan)?

Pray, tell me.

c) accept their gracious hospitality and step aboard. Explain that i'm from Sheffield and a proud Wednesdayite and take the proceeding ribbing in good humour. Graciously accept the seat next to none-other than 'Sir' Warnock himself and proceed to indulge in some good honest chat about football, whilst ensuring to compliment him on the great acheivement of last season.

Then around half an hour into the trip jump up, scream "Owls Ackhbar!" and push the detonator on my blue & white, paint-filled suicide bomb!

You guessed correctly that the vacant seat was beside Mr Warnock - well done!

Moving on, what happened to the best signature this forum has ever seen? The Chris Kamara one brought a smile to my face every time I read one of your (ahem, 'misguided') posts!:hihi:

I think the legend that is Michael Palin, has always maintained a certain degree of neutrality when it comes to the Sheffield clubs, never openly declaring support of one or t'other.

But, I have a strong suspicion that he does indeed support the right club, he always seems to mention the owls when talking casually.

For eg, a couple of years ago, when they were interviewing him on Calendar, just before a banquet at the cutlers hall (I think he was being awarded the freedom of the city), the interviewer asked him what it meant to be a Sheffielder on his many expeditions abroad.

He replied that wherever he went in the world, thanks to the BBC world service, there was always someone who could tell him the latest Sheffield Wednesday result.

I kinda figure that if he was a Blade, he would have used them in his example, not the Owls.

Archived