Story: 'Under The Atlantic.'

Falls

Hi Falls,

I really like your stories; they are a pleasure to read not only for the fascinating insights into your working life and the exotic locations you have visited but also for your flowing writing style, which, in my opinion, is certainly as good as Michael Palin’s travelogue books.

In fact it’s so good I’d give serious thought to approaching a publisher & see if they would be interested your autobiography.

It’s a shame they’re isn’t more in this genre, Nevil Shute and William F. Milliken both wrote very interesting (and technical) autobiographies, I reckon if you pitched yours as a cross between Alan Whicker and Dilbert whilst giving the general public an insight into what civil engineers do you’d really have something.

I once shared a train Journey with a bunch of miners from Northumberland, their tunnel also extended under the sea and they assured me that when it was stormy they could hear the seabed pebbles rolling about above them.

I thought they were pulling my leg until I heard a radio documentary which confirmed the story.

Keep up the good work; I’m looking forward to part two.

Whoops, you’re right Pattricia, Falls is a Mechanical engineer, not a civil engineer.

I once asked an engineer what the difference was and he said “Mechanical engineers make weapon systems – and civil engineers make targets!” :hihi:

Hello,

The company I worked for had more civil than mechanical engineers. The ratio was at least 5:1.

It was generally agreed that mechanicals made things that moved. They were people of action, so to speak.

On the other hand, civils were more pedestrian. If they designed something and it moved, it was most likely a disaster.

Regards

Hello,

The company I worked for had more civil than mechanical engineers. The ratio was at least 5:1.

It was generally agreed that mechanicals made things that moved. They were people of action, so to speak.

On the other hand, civils were more pedestrian. If they designed something and it moved, it was most likely a disaster.

Regards

Yes, Mechanical Engineers are to do with the mechanics of things,what makes them work etc;My son has a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Another good one from Falls

I did notice a slight change in your writing style, it’s more like a biographical novel, which I think is a good thing as it makes your writing flow better and makes a good story only better.

Always write with the intension of publishing your work even if you have no real intension of doing so.

Can’t wait for part two, nice one Falls. :thumbsup:

Very exciting again Falls. A miners job must be one of the hardest in the world.Its amazing that you can remember every detail like that.When I was a nursing student, I had the chance to go down a coal mine in Yorkshire, but never took the offer up. I wish I had done now, especially as a lot have closed down.

Archived