Sci -Fi Recommendations

Do you mean "Who Goes There?" by John W Campbell? Filmed as 'The thing from another world' and 'John Carpenter's: The Thing'.

A good short story by him is "All You Zombies.": a time travel-paradox tale.

Nope its "Who goes here" Its driving me insane trying to remember the name of the author now.

Gollancz/Orion started re-issuing old sci-fi novels as the "Sci-Fi Masterworks" series (cf. http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/Masterworks-SF-list.aspx) ... can't say all of the items on their top 100 are my cup of tea, but I'd definitely recommend:

Joe Haldeman - "The Forever War"

Alfred Bester - "The Stars My Destination" *

Philip K. Dick - "Ubik"

Robert Silverberg - "Dying Inside"

* my favourite. Incidentally, Mr. Bester (psi-cop from Babylon 5) is a kind-of homage to Alfred Bester.

A really brilliant short Sci-fi story is “Sandkings” by George RR Martin which many sci-fi writers cite as a classic example of how to write the genre – it also won both the “Hugo” and “Nebula” awards.

I believe an episode of “The outer limits” was based upon this story but it was a pale imitation totally lacking the brooding sense of menace -and just about everything else apart from the title - Not recommended! Read the book instead.

As Rich has started the ball rolling with self promotion I’d recommend my “MEAK7” story which is two cuppas & four biscuits long and generally gives people nightmares. :hihi:

Archived