Jeff's Records (later Pulse) Cambridge Street

TeresaB

Anyone remember the best record/alternative gear shop in the 70's and 80's?

You could get everything there from second hand LPs, new sounds, clothes and other kit aongside presents for your Grandad like Big Bens Banjo Band tapes. There was also Pippys just down the road as well as that fab but expensive jewellers called That'll The Day which then became Lawrence and Swaboda. Stonking stuff!

Nothing like it now tho' some attempts have been made. Sadly Pulse was knocked down in some kind of grand design planning by the council. (What ever happened to the the people responsible for the building and short life span of Sheaf Valley Baths, Kelvin Flats and other total wastes of rate payers dosh? Or need I ask?)

Just up the road was the Albert pub (also razed to the ground) which was a must before going on anywhere else especially if there was someone worth seeing on at the City Hall. Another casualty in the grand council planning scheme to become as bland and boring as any other umimaginative city in the UK.

hmmmmmm trying to think where pulse was now

was that at the very top of camebridge street that i think turned into a carpark?

you went up some steps, a mate from college in the late 80s had a small shop up there selling a few records and clothes.

mostly i remember amazing records which was halfway down there, bought my first punk singles from there (crass - reality asylum and gbh - sick boy) was great, unfortunately i believe it moved to leeds then shut down due to getting busted for bootlegs?

Anyone remember the best record/alternative gear shop in the 70's and 80's?

You could get everything there from second hand LPs, new sounds, clothes and other kit aongside presents for your Grandad like Big Bens Banjo Band tapes. There was also Pippys just down the road as well as that fab but expensive jewellers called That'll The Day which then became Lawrence and Swaboda. Stonking stuff!

Nothing like it now tho' some attempts have been made. Sadly Pulse was knocked down in some kind of grand design planning by the council. (What ever happened to the the people responsible for the building and short life span of Sheaf Valley Baths, Kelvin Flats and other total wastes of rate payers dosh? Or need I ask?)

Just up the road was the Albert pub (also razed to the ground) which was a must before going on anywhere else especially if there was someone worth seeing on at the City Hall. Another casualty in the grand council planning scheme to become as bland and boring as any other umimaginative city in the UK.[believe nothing, even if I have told you, unless in your heart you know it is true. Buddha]

Pulse was at ground level and never moved to Leeds but there was another shop about two doors down and yes that was up some stairs. Can't remeber what it was called tho but it did have some good stuff.

Pulse was at ground level and never moved to Leeds but there was another shop about two doors down and yes that was up some stairs. Can't remeber what it was called tho but it did have some good stuff.

lol, no, amazing records moved to leeds

Jeff`s Records, I think, was next door to The Albert. Every payday meant a visit to pick up 3 or 4 new albums. Then it sold clothes from further back in the shop, I bought my White/Blue starred trousers from there, and my Red ones!:blush:

The shop which also had a store in Leeds was Amazing Records which was further down Cambridge Street.

Lawrence and Swoboda! Steve Lawrence was a silversmith Technician at Psalter Lane Art School and thats where the inspiration for alot of the "exclusive designs" came from;). I remember Glen Swoboda used to cruise round town in a red corvette stingray :rolleyes:

Jeff was Jeff Blackburn from Mosborough, and if I remember correctly he had a liking for "different" substances.;) Allegedly :P

Yep knew Jeff through school (Westfield) and then knocking about town over the years. Never did look like he really wanted to be a real businessman but always a nice guy

• 1 year later...

Archived