Student games opening ceremony 1991

kezzzza

I was one of the security team that was responsible for the sites during the construction phase of Don Valley and The Arena, during the time we were there no thefts, no vandlism, all local men. When the games started we were sacked and a security team from Manchester brought in.

I was at the opening of the games, I paid to go, the whole thing was a disgrace, pathetically organised, they couldnt even get the tickets to the pay boxes on time.

My boss used to bring potential customers from all over the country to show them Don Valley during the construction. He used to say that people thought Sheffield was finished but the development was a sign of re generation. I think he did more to market Sheffield than any councillors or politicians did. he never received any recognition and was sacked with the rest of us when all the hard work had been done.

• 3 months later...
I know ive asked this before,(but there are new members on the Forum now). Is there anyone here who was in the world student games opening ceremony at don valley stadium in 1991? :thumbsup:

I was in the Opening Ceremony as a Buffer girl amongst other things! What a wonderful night! Also spent a week in the Games Village it was a memory I shall never forget. Was also in the Closing Ceremony too. Wow!:loopy: It was such a thrill to be part of the Games.

Archived