Weekend in London

grump's

Kew Gardens is worth a visit if you have time too.

Mm... Kew gardens on a hot day with a picnic and Champagne is fabulous! (Sigh)

I went to a wedding there as well a couple of summer's back and did the tour which is definitely worth it:thumbsup:

I'd second a walk along Camden market and don't be afraid to walk around London and stumble on places, this is when you find the nicest places and the funniest sights. The walk along the canal back from Camden into central london alongside london zoo is lovely on a summer's day.

A few places off the beaten track......

Notting Hill (Portebello Rd) is very good on a saturday afternoon,fantastic street market good places to eat and drink and a good atmosphere.

Shepherd Market in Mayfair, some nice little pubs and shops.

Carnaby St is briliant loads of shops

Kings Rd in Chelsea,start at Sloane Sq and walk down to Fulham

Heddon St just half way up Regent St on left hand side,you'll find some really nice bars and places to eat (Living Room and Zinc).

And for a very very good curry and top night out Brick Lane in Whitechapel.

Stay off Oxford St it's crap.

Hope this help

and if you don't mind paying a bit this is a very very good hotel in a superb location http://www.sofitelstjames.com/

• 1 month later...

I'd second a walk along Camden market and don't be afraid to walk around London and stumble on places, this is when you find the nicest places and the funniest sights. The walk along the canal back from Camden into central london alongside london zoo is lovely on a summer's day.

Well done my son! You've just come up with the place most hated by Londoners! If you want to get out of central London visit Hackney for London Fields, Vicky Park and the museums around the town hall.

• 3 months later...

I was whisked away to London for the bank holiday weekend :D Unfortunately Hilton did their best to spoil it for us by shunting us from our booking at the Hyde Park to the Olympia, without explanation.

So we were transferred in a swish Merc taxi to Olympia, to a room with twin beds!! And honestly, it was no better than the Staines Travelodge we stayed in in June, for a lot less than this cost my b/f.

Unfortunately my b/f couldn't make a fuss at the time, although he was really annoyed, because at that point I didn't know he was going to propose :o:love:

We went up Tower Bridge, on the Eye, around Trafalgar Square, had a wander down Whitehall, and the weather was fab.

hi i come from London and what i would reccommend is to put a really good pair of walking shoes on and tack lots of rests , the best place to start is at london bridge and walk over it not only that you can admire the tower of london before you walk over it once over you are on the south bank which is called jubillee walk (you just follow the river path) and you get a really great veiw of the city and all the buildings from this side of the river , while your walking over that side there are plenty of great cafes and pubs on the riverside to sit and relax and take a rests and watch the river , as you walk up you will see the globe theater its a lovley historic building and u hear the plays going on as its a outside theater then a little way up is the tate modern which i would recommend its free as well, also you can go on the roof top and look out the veiw is stunning you see the whole of the city in all its glory , then after this you come to the LWT tv center were there are loads of outside acts and entertainment going on comedy /magic /puppets /clowns / card tricks ect you can just mill about and watch you might get pull in as a assistant all the entertaners are mad and its good fun watching them they also seem to get the jap tourists or americans doing somthing funny , also the wheel is on this side nr westminster bridge then after this you can cross westminster bridge that takes you to big ben / westminster abbey / trifalger sq /buckingham places /ect ,this is an excellent way to see london as you get to see it from both sides and not many people tend to know about the south bank side, black cabs hate going over there as well its a bit of a north /south divide thing which is sad , ive been to london many many times there so much to see and explore i do not think i will every get to see all even in my life time .anyway enjoy im sure your have a great time whatever you do , it is a great city . sorry about my spelling havent time to correct .

Archived