Dave Godin - Northern Soul Collector

Chris M

You cannot generalize all citizens of a city as if they all love the same type of music.

There will be many who have their own individual preference and a different personal taste, music, religion, sexual preferences.

WTF are you prattling on about?

Dave Godin Managed the Anvil cinema & probably did more for independant cinema than anyone else in the City. He also raised tens if not hundreds of thousands for donkey sanctuarys & other animal charitys regardless of his achievments in the world of Soul music.

Show some respect.

Calling all Sheffield soul and blues lovers is very typical of Sheffield.

Sheffield often behaves as if it is the only place in the universe and all sheffielders are loving the same.

Well I know plenty of sheffielders who are more three dimensional than that.

Calling all Sheffield soul and blues lovers is very typical of Sheffield.

Sheffield often behaves as if it is the only place in the universe and all sheffielders are loving the same.

Well I know plenty of sheffielders who are more three dimensional than that.

It does not mean they are calling all Sheffield soul and blues lovers you pratt! It means 'Shouting' or 'Attention' all soul and blues lovers in Sheffield. :loopy:

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 02/06/2010 at 15:40, lectrolove said:

I knew him quite well, but not in a music context. He was a student at Psalter Lane at the same time as me, and was president of the Students Union there for a while if I remember correctly.

On 04/06/2010 at 18:30, Huxley said:

I was at Psalter Lane art college with Dave during the 80s in Sheffield, where we were both mature students at the time. I remember him as a real character, very eccentric and arty with a very distinctive voice. He was a really decent fella who kept largely to himself but was pleasant to everyone. I didn't know he had died though!

On 04/06/2010 at 19:13, Alastair said:

I had to chaperone a friend to the sauna at Sheaf Valley baths who'd been invited there by Dave Godin. He was scared Dave would make advances on him :hihi:

I met him quite a few times through our mutual friend and he was always entertaining.

On 21/10/2004 at 17:11, kolla said:

Dave's funeral will take place at 3.40 pm on Thursday 28th Oct at Rotherham Crematorium, Ridgeway, East Herringthorpe Rotherham, S65 3NN.

There is limited parking inside the crematorium grounds, so it would be appreciated if you could park your cars on the road outside, unless you have special needs.

The funeral directors are Co-operative Funeral Directors, Clyde Villas, Doncaster Rd, Rotherham, S65 2DA. Tel 01709 828818 who will advise as to flowers, if you would like to send any. Donations are still welcome to The Donkey Sanctuary, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 0NU . Cheques payable to The Elisabeth Svendsen Trust For Children And Donkeys.

There will be a celebratory dance at the Hellaby Hall Hotel, Old Hellaby Lane, Near Rotherham, S66 8FN from 6pm until approximately 12am. Deep Soul music will be played from 6-8pm in particular. A vegetarian and vegan buffet will be available from 8pm. Hellaby Hall is about half a mile to the east of junction 1 on the M18 on the road to Maltby/Doncaster, it's on the left hand side. The M18 branches off the M1 at junction 32. .

The practicalities over, there has been overwhelming outpouring of affection and respect for this amazing man. Dave often quoted that what lives on after we are gone is love and that's been proved in the last few days. He was always sorry to be missing his own funeral, he suspected it would be a joyous occasion. We'll have to make sure we prove him right.

There are two stunning obituaries in the Guardian and Independent, which we have put on the 6ts website (http://www.6ts.info). The 100 + tributes to Dave in the Book Of Condolence on the site and tributes from David Nathan and pals are something else too. Please take time to read them at your leisure at http://www.6ts.info .

Kind Regards,

Kolla (on behalf of Ady Croasdell)

On 02/06/2007 at 03:04, jennie1 said:

my mum and two of my sisters worked with mr godin at the anvil cinema many years ago. i can remember him sending me to the shop for 20 camel untipped cigs. he would tell me stories of his time working with greats like smokey robinson. he was a very lovely man and i will always remember his kind words at my mums funeral. RIP DAVE

On 02/06/2010 at 11:40, darylslinn said:

I'll ask my father he used to know Dave Godin back in the late sixties and early seventies following North American Soul stars.

Hi there,

I hope you're well.

I'm just reaching out as I work for a production company called Wise Owl Films who have previously made shows with the BBC like When Bob Marley Came To Britain, and When Nirvana Came To Britain, which both went out to great success. Following that, we're now working with the BBC again to produce our next one in the series, When Motown Came To Britain which will be looking at the first Motown Revue UK Tour in 1965. 
We're currently trying to reach out to people who knew Dave Godin and I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a call with yourself to hear about any memories that you may have of him? With this documentary, we really want to make sure that it is as much (if not more) about those who were fans of Motown and attended the tour dates, as it is about those who were featured on the tour. And as you know, we'd be amiss if we didn't shine some of that spotlight on Dave and his trailblazing efforts in helping establish the Motown sound over here in the UK.

If you could reach out to me at info@wiseowlfims.com then that would be amazing!

Thanks, 

Kariim