Guns in Botanical Garden Glasshouses

Do you remember the Gun / Guns ( cannon mounted on wheels ) which stood in one of the glasshouses in the Botanical Gardens.

My Dad used to take me walks in there in the 50's and I was fascinated by their presence !

I believe they were originally used to defend the old Sheffield Town in the event of riots / working class uprisings / general disorder ?

Where are they now ? They would be a splendid sight on show, may be in the Winter Garden or some other prominent city centre location.

Do you remember the Gun / Guns ( cannon mounted on wheels ) which stood in one of the glasshouses in the Botanical Gardens.

My Dad used to take me walks in there in the 50's and I was fascinated by their presence !

I believe they were originally used to defend the old Sheffield Town in the event of riots / working class uprisings / general disorder ?

Where are they now ? They would be a splendid sight on show, may be in the Winter Garden or some other prominent city centre location.

I don't think they were intended to be used on the townspeople, they were used by the local militia, who were like the Territorials cum Home Guard, to defend the country against invasion. There's a report somewhere in the local Studies Library about an exercise by the militia in the 19th century, where they were to intercept an 'invading force' who were retreating towards Manchester, and were to be brought to battle in Rivelin around Manchester Road. It was advertised in advance, and apparently a grandstand was provided for spectators!

• 2 years later...

Just resurecting this thread I started, when I enquired about the whereabouts of the old Town Guns.

Well I answered the question myself this afternoon on a visit to the Kelham Island Museum, because that's where they now stand.

By the way, for the school holidays admission is free !

Hi Douglas J and didn't I just take my time.

I was in the Botanical Gardens on Sunday afternoon with visiting family and was relating about my childhood memories of the gun/ guns in the glasshouse.

Funny how on Monday whilst at Kelham Ialand with my Grandson, I should see the guns.

Archived