Totley Moorland

On Totley Moss moorland their is a cairn and a Trig Point.

Has the Trig Point been moved at some time?

Also following the wall pasted the Trig Point heading to Totley Moss

a gatepost attached to the old wall gives reason to believe

that a house or dwelling existed once near-bye.

Does anyone know anything about these?

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I have the right place (grid square SK 28 78) then I think the old wall belongs to a sheepfold and the gatepost will have been used as the access control - I have checked on http://www.old-maps.co.uk and as far as I can make out there have been no dwellings there. As for the cairn, as far as I know people just add to them when they pass - in fact I put a stone on the cairn close by on the footpath leading off the Houndkirk Road (think it's SK 274 815 ish)

This must be the longest gap between posts I have ever seen!:thumbsup:

3 yrs and 5 months later and Albert replies to Halevans post.

You guys should hook up.

gosh only just noticed that after you pointing it out, do you not log on much albert?

If I have the right place (grid square SK 28 78) then I think the old wall belongs to a sheepfold and the gatepost will have been used as the access control - I have checked on http://www.old-maps.co.uk and as far as I can make out there have been no dwellings there. As for the cairn, as far as I know people just add to them when they pass - in fact I put a stone on the cairn close by on the footpath leading off the Houndkirk Road (think it's SK 274 815 ish)

Beckelina - The cairn is at G.R.288 788. on Brown Edge the Trig Point being situated near the wall which crosses Totley Moss which defines the land within the Dore enclosure act. ( I believe ) The gatepost to the sheep fold also was named Tony Rowlands Hut. (I believe). It was first mentioned in 1850s. If anyones got any more information please add it.

I trust someone more aquainted with the area will step forward. But a word of warning to any reader - Never venture across Totley Moss alone. - It is a very, very dangerous place to go to.

Archived