Tai Chi in Sheffield

owhf

I am sure a lot of poeple know practising Tai Chi is good for health. However, they do not know Tai Chi is also a good fighting skill. which not many Tai Chi practitioners here in the UK can master.

I have met several people who said they have practised Tai Chi for more than five years but they have never practised pushing hands. This is amazing!!! It is either students are very lazy so they have not achieve the level of skill practising pushing hands or teachers they themselves did not train the fighting side of Tai Chi so they cannot train their students.

The original Tai Chi form has 108 moves and they are beautiful moves but I do not understand why do people shorten it from 108 moves to 72 and even to 24 moves. Please remember the 108 moves have been practising by people in China and countries in Asia nearly thousand year. It must have its value and beauty. It is a shame some people particularly in the west practising the short forms. They have missed the beauty and glory of Tai Chi.

Sleeping

• 5 weeks later...

Real tai chi is the long form, but in our traditions style we do have short forms. One of the main reasons our teacher devised these being people having increasingly hectic lifestyles. This means them not having the time to learn a long form(can take more than a year). Hopefully after learning a short form/s their enthusiasm and interest will grow, they will see real results, and they can then go on to the "goodstuff".

My ears pricked up when you said push hands as i'd be interested in finding out about anyone doing tui shou (not in a class environment) as currently i don't have any training partners locally.

Neil

Hi, Neil,

The only Tai Chi Practitioner whom I know is Dan Docherty. He should be good because he trained under Grand Master Cheng Tin Hung when he was in the police in Hong Kong.

Grand Master Cheng is a well known Tai Chi Master and his students won numerous fights/open touranments in Asia.

I have never met Dan but I read his article in the Combat magazine.

I hear what you said regarding the reason for the short form but I cannot concur. Please bear in mind if every person only practise the short form and as time gone by no one will remember the long/traditional form. This means this good Tai Chi skill will disappear for good. Same is true to the traditional Chinese writing. The current Chinese government simplify some beautiful Chinese words because it said people found them difficult to write.

Do you know that traditional Chinese words have been using for more than 2000 years before the current government modified them. Sorry I divert the topic but the principle is the same. People modify things for the wrong reasons.

Sleepingcat

Peter Ellis of nwtcc is my master, Dan Docherty is his master and it is with Dan that I did bai shi and became an inside the door student.

Dan only issues teaching certificates to those of a certain standard this means both short and long forms, conditioning, martial applications and theory hopefully maintaining the integrity of our system. If you shop around you can find good teachers in other styles, though i am more than a little biased towards my own system.

As for modifications and who is teaching "the correct style" Dan has some things to say about this in his book complete tai chi chuan. i would paraphrase but i don't have the text at work with me today.

Dan has articles about the five components of tai chi, one being hand form on his website that you may be interested in. http://www.taichichuan.co.uk. I practice all of them (not all in one training session though).

I attended the british open tai chi championships yesterday and won gold and silver in fixed and moving step push hands so am more than a little happy (and more than a little achie) today.

Neil

Hi, Neil,

Sorry I was away so I could not response to your mail sooner. I am glad you train under Dan's lineage. As I said there are a lot of people who are not aware that Tai Chi is a good fighting skill. I am particularly annoyed with this misperception.

Perhaps, I am stubborn, I still maintain that people should practise the full form not short form. We as practitioners should maintain high standard and quality of the arts we practise. We should not compromise the arts due to financial consideration.

I happen to know that some people who train Wing Chun kung fu in a customers' expectation approach. What I mean here is practitioners who, in order to keep students' interest therefore more money, drop the traditional way of training by engaging muscle force, practising drills and punching. A lot of people are impatient and want to learn the art quick. This is why there is a demand for quick fix and practitioners meet with this expectation and compromise the quality of Wing Chun so as Tai Chi. Someone told me that you can complete the whole Wing Chun system in one year. This is rubbish.

Despite I have never met Dan but I have high expectation on him. You are lucky training in his lineage or better to say your gand master Cheng Tin Hung. If you have time and money, you should visit him either in Hong Kong or elsewhere in China.

Lastly, congratulation to you for your win.

with best wishes,

Sleepingcat

• 4 months later...

Archived