Tai Chi in Sheffield

owhf

No problem, was just on getting my daily forum fix. Nothing regular planned in the park yet, but like taking the advantage of the opportunity to train outdoors now the evenings are getting longer.

Hi Dave, All good thanks, cept for a non-training related back injury i've been nursing for the last week.

Class was being taught by Peter Ellis.

5 of the usual suspects attended no-one new.

Teaching covered Form, Form applications, conditioning, push hands and sabre applications.

How's things with you.

I'll send you a pm

Cheers

Neil

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Hi, Neil,

The only Tai Chi Practitioner whom I know is Dan Docherty. He should be good because he trained under Grand Master Cheng Tin Hung when he was in the police in Hong Kong.

Grand Master Cheng is a well known Tai Chi Master and his students won numerous fights/open touranments in Asia.

I have never met Dan but I read his article in the Combat magazine.

I hear what you said regarding the reason for the short form but I cannot concur. Please bear in mind if every person only practise the short form and as time gone by no one will remember the long/traditional form. This means this good Tai Chi skill will disappear for good. Same is true to the traditional Chinese writing. The current Chinese government simplify some beautiful Chinese words because it said people found them difficult to write.

Do you know that traditional Chinese words have been using for more than 2000 years before the current government modified them. Sorry I divert the topic but the principle is the same. People modify things for the wrong reasons.

Sleepingcat

Hi Sleepingcat,there is no way on earth Dan would ever let happen that people stop to train the long form!

If you learn under him or under one of his trained instructors it is NECESSARY to learn the long form!

Flying Brick

Sleepingcat;

everyone who get thaught by Dan Docherty has to learn the Long Form.

He just broken the system up to learn it easier...first Short round ,than Long Round ( if students stay long enough...)

Flying Brick

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am a Lee Style teacher with the Taoist Cultural Arts Association (seahorsearts.co.uk), and I am opening a class in Crookes on Monday evenings, 7pm to 8.30pm. There are more details on sheffieldtaichi.co.uk.

Thanks

Archived