Cleaning a self cleaning oven

just moved into ahouse with a self cleaning oven and its a right mess been told cant clean it, its needs a right good cleaning dont say soap and water its glued on black grime, can i get some strong oven cleaner on it or what, when ever we cook the room fills with smoke becaues of the baked on food.

Alot of them say you can't use them on self cleaning ovens....

I don't know of any particular cleaning product, but Iknow there is acompoany that will come and clean the oven without using chemicals. A colleague had it done and said it was amazing, they took the oven totally apart and cleaned everything so it totally gleamed. If you are interested I'll try to find out some contact details for it.

I know its not ideal though having to pay out for something like that when you've just moved.

just moved into ahouse with a self cleaning oven and its a right mess been told cant clean it, its needs a right good cleaning dont say soap and water its glued on black grime, can i get some strong oven cleaner on it or what, when ever we cook the room fills with smoke becaues of the baked on food.

Most ovens can be dismantled with a bit of commonsense and a pozidrive (cross-head) screwdriver of the right size. Remember in which order you dismantled things, and which screws go where. Don't force anything. Most ovens have a removable inside liner, you just open the door and look for the screw-heads around the front of the oven. It's a lot easier to clean when it's apart; fairy and piping hot water are just fine, you may just need to soak it for a while. Trying to clean an oven in-situ is often all but attempting the impossible.

If you feel you have to resort to stronger cleaners, Mr Muscle Orange Action (or an own-brand equivalent) will not harm your oven. If you finally resort to the usual aerosol oven cleaner, be sure not to leave the cleaner on too long, as it will cause damage.

Lakeland sell non-stick flexible sheets which can be cut to shape, and put in the bottom of the oven. You then just take the sheet out and stick it in with the washing-up or put it in the dishwasher when it needs a clean. It's a brilliant idea which works really well and saves a whole lot of aggro.

I'm worried about that smoke; however filthy an oven the contents should soon carbonise. If it's a gas oven you will need to check the ventilation very carefully.

Hope all this helps. Let us know how you get on.

We had this when we moved, the oven was electric and disgusting, after trying all else i eventually got one of those triangular shaped decorating thingys and scraped a lot of it off, the smell made me gag constantly.:gag:

Even with that and scrubbing it after i was never happy with it and went out and bought the cheapest electric oven i could find.

Good luck! it`s a horrible job!

Should have asked - are you renting? If so, any chance of getting the landlord to sort it? If it's your own, why care whether it gets damaged by oven cleaner or not?

As for that smoke, check the rubber seal around the oven door (which incidentally is one of the things that is easily damaged by oven cleaner).

Lakeland sell non-stick flexible sheets which can be cut to shape, and put in the bottom of the oven. You then just take the sheet out and stick it in with the washing-up or put it in the dishwasher when it needs a clean. It's a brilliant idea which works really well and saves a whole lot of aggro.

I can vouch for that idea - the Lakeland flexible sheets have been a godsend in our house- saves a lot of messing about and looks much tidier than tin foil in the bottom of the oven - really easy to wipe clean or bung in the sink in hot soapy water. Well worth thinking about once youve scrubbed it back up nice again.

Archived