Cleaning a self cleaning oven

Here's a link to a page with info about using self cleaning ovens; it looks as though the smoke may be part of the cleaning process: http://www.anyclean.co.uk/articles/how-to-clean-your-oven.html

And here's a second one with more basic info: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/utilityroom/ovenclean.htm

Maybe you just need to try the self-cleaning first.

its just that ive been told that you cant clean or shouldnt clean a self cleaning oven, not that im lazym i want to get stuck in and clean the dam thing, but ive been told you cant use abrasives or wire wool etc, which will do the job really well

its just that ive been told that you cant clean or shouldnt clean a self cleaning oven, not that im lazym i want to get stuck in and clean the dam thing, but ive been told you cant use abrasives or wire wool etc, which will do the job really well

What model oven is it? You should be able to find specific instructions on using the self cleaning cycle on the net easily enough; save you a lot of work.

Hi magico,

I would follow Steve C's advice and look up the specs for your oven model on the internet and follow the directions. You can set the time for how long you want the self cleaning cycle to run. For a very heavily soiled oven, you may have to set the timer for the longest cleaning cycle, or run it twice. (but not in the same day!)

It's ok to leave the oven racks in the oven. I've done this with mine just to get the grime off, but be aware, it does tarnish them forever. (I got bigger worries than shiny oven racks :hihi: )

Totally clean the outside of the oven. Wipe off any spills, etc. Clean around the gasket on the door and the little window if you have one. Remove anything close to the oven on your kitchen counters, like pot holders, etc. The oven gets VERY hot, much hotter than normal cooking temperatures. In fact, when it gets to a certain temp, the oven door will lock, and you won't be able to open it until the oven cools down. Do NOT try to force the door open or closed! The intense heat literally burns the dirt off, and it does stink up the house whenever I use the cleaning cycle, so open a few windows and use the vent fan.

Also, NEVER use chemical oven cleaners in a self-cleaning

oven. If any residue from the cleaner remains, it will be changed by the high

heat into compounds that will etch the porcelain enamel. And if you have pet birds, the fumes from a self cleaning oven can kill them.

:) Sierra

I once looked after a freinds house that had a self cleaning oven . The thing was loppy so i spent hours cleaning it out . Only for them to come back and say " oh you shouldn't have bothered . Were getting a new one next week . " Grrrrrrrrr

Archived