Workingmens Club's seaside daytrips.

hazel

I remember going on the club trips with the spa club on birley moor road (it,s now the sherwood pub....shame).We used to go to all the useuall places Skeggy,Mablethorpe,Cleethorpes etc. We would all get a bag of coins to spend when we got there and the obligoritory sit down lunch,on the way back we used to get pop & crisps and by the time we got to Tickhill we,d all need the toilet and have to wait till we got back to the club.Incidently the spa club was a private club (members only)so the annual kids outing and easter where the only time kids where allowed in!!!.Anyone one else remember the spa club???????.My dad was on the commitee for yonks.

• 2 years later...
can anyone remember the WMC's daytrips to the seaside.

do they still have them?

there were rows of coaches all filled with children off to cleethorpes or skegness. we were given a handful of free tickets for rides for "Wonderland" and had a sit down fish and chip meal and a bag of sandwiches and a bun. two adults were allocated to each coach and off we went. i can't remember any bad behaviour, they prob got a thick ear from the minders if they did.

I remember going to Cleethorpse with the Darnall Green WMC. Like you say, rows of coaches lined up down towards High Hazels Park. We thought it was wonderful I guess as we didn't get holidays as such, and we all enjoyed the day out, with spending money (not much these days I guess) but we always used to look forward to them. What memories eh?!

I remember going to Cleethorpse with the Darnall Green WMC. Like you say, rows of coaches lined up down towards High Hazels Park. We thought it was wonderful I guess as we didn't get holidays as such, and we all enjoyed the day out, with spending money (not much these days I guess) but we always used to look forward to them. What memories eh?!
yes such happy memories i used to go with darnall green they used to go two days i think tuesday and wednesday there were masses of coaches and someyears i got to go both days as the darnall green was my grandad i was going to say second home but grandma always said it was is only home .anyway they were fun days apart from the bun fights in victoria cafe where we had dinner you always came out with more food on your cloths than what you eat but the kids of today don tknow what they were missing great times had by all it must have washed off on me as i have lived in cleethorpes for many years now

• 10 months later...

I used to go on the club trips with bellhouse road club. The old bloke accross from us used to get our tickets as my dad wasn`t a member. I can remember sitting on the coach with a bright orange badge attached to me with my name on it. We normally went to mablethorpe. I can remember going to the fair on the front and making a picture from swirling paint on a piece of paper while it spun around. My mum`s still got the picture (my dad used to save everything). Iwent with my kids a few years ago on a club trip from high green to Skeggy. I don`t think they do them now though.

Wadsley Bridge Trip mainly went to Cleethorpes if I remember rightly. Sent the kids off first so half of them had spent up by the time the parents arrived:)

Funny how I only remember them being gloriously sunny days

Used to go on trips with the Grimesthorpe Club. I remember having to wear a name tag. If i remember rightly the tags were like the ones you see in the films with the evacuees. It was so exciting when they came round with the tickets for the rides. we got money aswel. 10 bob i think. Brilliant...

My dad was a member of loads of WMC's La Plata, Arundel, Non Pots and more, so I got quite a few trips through the summer holidays. Cleethorpes was always my favourite as my Nanna and aunties lived there. Free drink in Browns cafe from my auntie Dot, she worked there, free rides on the beach or Wonderland from my uncle Roy, he worked there. 12/6d from one of the clubs which we thought was a fortune, 10/- from the rest.

Lunch at the Dolphin cafe, usually fish, chips and peas with bread and butter and a soft drink. Money was usually gone within the first hour, but then Nanna would always give us more!

Mum and Dad always came as it was a free trip to visit family.

Yes the walk from the station to Wonderland did seem a long way! We used to go to the boating lake end and if sunny (and it always was) we would go in the swimming pool.

Happy days.

Marion

Archived