Workingmens Club's seaside daytrips.

hazel

I only ever went once fron Southey WMC in 1934 and the coach never made the trip. Steam would come hissing out of the radiator filler, no pressure systems then, so the driver would climb out and, bucket in hand wait for it the hissing to stop and try a twist the cap off. Quite often boiling water would spew out and the driver would throw himself back to avoid the inevitable splash. About an hour later water would be poured in and a big cheer would announce the starting of the engine only to repeat the performance an hour later. We actualy got as far as Scunthorpe when the driver announced in a solemn voice, " wi can't mek it, engines overeating so will ave to gu back ooam. I can't remember the trip back, I fell asleep and was awkened outside the Club.

Mother was waiting all excited ready for the questions, "did you go paggling" no mum wi never got theer, Chara brock down all 'time, way never mind will have a nice cuppa tea an a scon, what's tha think o that. I'm not gooin ageean Mum ad sooner gu tu Ecclesfield.

hi roveress, i went with grimesthorpe club to cleethorpes-and skegness.

great when they gid us 10 bob spending money/and crips. free fish/chips tea.

i lived in cyclops st- hade some good times in club.

southy club was the biggest outing, they had about 25/30 coaches to the seaside.

• 1 month later...

Happy Memories of going to Skeggy/Cleethorpes with Attercliffe Libs. coaches nose to nose queing right round 'lump'. Coaches allocated to adults n those for kids with stewards on board, been given pop n crisps for the trip & a little brown envelope with some spending money in. Those were the days ...................

• 3 weeks later...
Used to go on trips with the Grimesthorpe Club. I remember having to wear a name tag. If i remember rightly the tags were like the ones you see in the films with the evacuees. It was so exciting when they came round with the tickets for the rides. we got money aswel. 10 bob i think. Brilliant...

i went on day trips with grimesthorpe club but we only got 4 shillings so obviously im a good bit older.

hi roveress, i went with grimesthorpe club to cleethorpes-and skegness.

great when they gid us 10 bob spending money/and crips. free fish/chips tea.

i lived in cyclops st- hade some good times in club.

southy club was the biggest outing, they had about 25/30 coaches to the seaside.

i lived on cyclops st next door to the knowles at the top

why did they put the oldest ramshackle chara as the first coach,nobody got on it,anyone remember little Ronnie who lived on earl marshall rd,He wore white plimsolls and had ginger/sandy coloured hair he was only small.someone mentioned Ronnie bilham sadly he died a few years ago he frightened me to death as a kid i really did think he was a copper and he didnt forget me as an adult he was lovely

Archived