Workingmens Club's seaside daytrips.

hazel

I remember going on these trips. I remember going to Mablethorpe with Southey WMC and with Wadsley Bridge WMC. I also remember going with a club at bottom of (I think!) Rutland Road but cannot remember the name of it.

It would have been middle - late 60's. I can remember that we were all given some spending money in a little envelope but I think that each club gave a different amount.

All the kids were really excited about going - think it was because there were no PARENTS with us and we were virtually free to do what we wanted. What memories it brings back but very enjoyable times.

Can't imagine kids these days being let loose in the same way!

• 6 months later...

i used to go on the daytrips with the old (and i know im not spelling it right ) aquadock wmc where my parents john and betty cropper went. all the coaches would be lined up on 2 streets all the kids would go on the coaches on one street and the adults on the 2nd street of coaches. pop and crisps for us and crates of beer for the adults how no kids ever got left behind is a mystery

Iv been on trips with loadsof clubs the pitsmoor club aquduct limes burngreave foundry workers and the loco club the latter i used to be on the commitee then later on i was chaiman of woodside tennants ta and we used to take the kids from woodside away the kids used to love it

I remember going on the club trips with the spa club on birley moor road (it,s now the sherwood pub....shame).We used to go to all the useuall places Skeggy,Mablethorpe,Cleethorpes etc. We would all get a bag of coins to spend when we got there and the obligoritory sit down lunch,on the way back we used to get pop & crisps and by the time we got to Tickhill we,d all need the toilet and have to wait till we got back to the club.Incidently the spa club was a private club (members only)so the annual kids outing and easter where the only time kids where allowed in!!!.Anyone one else remember the spa club???????.My dad was on the commitee for yonks.

Awww i remember those trips with the Spa club, that and the easter bonnet parade was the only time we could go.

I went on the trips to skeggy with the smithy wood WMC. I remember them as magical days and used to count down to them when I was a kid. The anticipation of when the day would arrive was overwhelming. A day out to skeggy hardly sounds very exciting now but how I loved them. Afterwards back to the club for a free bottle of pop and a packet of crisps, those were the days!

• 1 year later...

I remember going with a few different clubs but the one i went with the most was Park Gardeners cause my mums friend was on the commitee. I remember going to Cleethorpes one year and the Cerone's had a food fight in Winter gardens so we wern't allowed to go back there :hihi:

i remember getting your little envelope with your money in, a bag of smiths crisp and a bottle of coke. I always went with just friends my own age and there was never any trouble, we just spent our money on rides in Wonderland and the big wheel and I can still smell the dodgems and that burning from the metal spike that used to run along the top . happy days :)

i remember going to Mapplethorpe with gatefield working mens club I remember stopping at a cafe there was two toilets all the ladies rushed and formed two Queues and told the men to use the wall round the back.

We had a great time

nearly every kid i knew went on them and their dads works trips and christmas parties. as for WMCs we all went by train to cleathorpes cause the station was next to the beech we got ten bob and bit if fruit soon as we haad the money we would all run off to the slots by 12ish we were all skint at dinner we would go to whaat i think was a purpose built shed where we would all queue out side along the wall waiting to be let in for the seaside staple fish and chips, then it would be a walk on the sands untill it was time to get back on the train and back home, after a head count their would always be one or 2 missing and you can't hold up a train for anyone. the committee men would come round at some point with bags of crisps and pop the committee men all stinking of boose where they had been in a club all day halcyon days

i remember when the top clubs on city rd the maor, arundel and park and arbour when they all went there would be about 60 coaches the line of coaches by the time the first set of untill the last the first coach was in cleathorpes, when the coaches got back the clubs had to pay for them cleaning as many older kids got some booze then throw it back up on the waY BACK

I remember going on these trips. I remember going to Mablethorpe with Southey WMC and with Wadsley Bridge WMC. I also remember going with a club at bottom of (I think!) Rutland Road but cannot remember the name of it.

It would have been middle - late 60's. I can remember that we were all given some spending money in a little envelope but I think that each club gave a different amount.

All the kids were really excited about going - think it was because there were no PARENTS with us and we were virtually free to do what we wanted. What memories it brings back but very enjoyable times.

Can't imagine kids these days being let loose in the same way!

Southey wmc used to give the kids a £5. We only got £3.50 with Wadsley Bridge club:(

One year my dad was a steward (counting the kids on and off the coaches) on the way back to Sheff we stopped for a break,(think it was Bawtry) My dad counted us all back on again,and off we headed back to Wadsley Bridge for the nightime kids disco. We were all enjoying the night when my mum asked dad were my brother was,(there was 5 of us) dad just said he was knocking around somewhere.

After about 3 hours mum asked dad again(then panic set in) couldn't find my 5 year old bro anywhere.

Cut a long story short...After phoning the police,dad had left his 5yr old son in the bog at Bawtry.:hihi:

Someone had found him and handed him in to the police.Turns out my bro had,had a great time with the cops..Dad was nearly hung by my mother,and his mates at the club ribbed him for months.

Archived