Chapeltown Park Illuminations

OneofThree

It sounds a lot like the illuminations they have in Matlock Bath. They are beautiful. Stunning too to see the fireworks set off from the cliff tops! The reflections from the lights in the river, as the themed boats travel down!!!

I have been every year since I can remember on my birthday in October to see the illuminations. Mum and dad have always hired a car to take us there. This year will be the first year that I won't be going, as my dad died in May (unexpectedly) and obviously he won't be able to drive us there :(

I guess it would have been nice to go, and not bring it to an end... maybe it is time to ask Sheffield City Council if they would think about revamping Chapeltown Park back to how it was and begin the illuminations again???

Should we?????

im sure if you really felt you wanted to go to matlock that one of the bus companies runs a trip there im sure i saw it advertised, but maybe its something you want to leave till next year when the ground doesnt feel so shaky.

im a lot older than you and my dad passed suddenly the week after my ann. and it sometimes feels wrong to celebrate.

but back to the illuminations,ive often wondered who paid for the illuminations as there seems to have been a decline in the park since newton chambers/izal factory left chapeltown did they sponser any of it.

i loved the park as an outing and remember the fun, some kids just never get the chance to apprciate the simple things,i spend time looking back and wonder where the decline began, it must have started somewhere.

i was brought up on thorncliffe ave and lived close to the railway, the dam and the foundry, but knew better than to stray too far .

I don't know for sure, but it was in the days of the WRDC. The Wortley Rural District Council, (not Sheffield CC).

They used to put illuminations down the side of Mortomley Park at Christmas as well. The string of bulbs went from tree to tree starting at the toilets and finishing at Mortomley House.

Do you remember them?

i remember the light at mortomley i went past them on the way to and from school, in the days when school didnt finish at five past three.

i remember going to the pantomine it was ages after we stopped going that i found out it was something to do with the sheff.wed supporters club. we used to get on a coach i think outside the white hart pub. it was usually the lyceum or barnsley civic but im not certain.

• 3 months later...

I seem to remember that one year (61/62?) the Chapeltown Park Illuminations were re-used in town as part of the City's Christmas Lights.

There was a Nursery Rhyme theme, and I distinctly recall seeing "The Old Woman who lived in The Shoe" and "Jack and Jill" (a series of flashing lights illustrating the famous tumble) featuring in both displays.

Does anyone else recall this??

Yes one of my favourite memories chapeltown illuminations.

I use to go with my parents and grandparents then we use to go in the pub further up is it carousel - i went in the kids telly room as it was -made loads of friends there .

what was that pub called in 60s.?

we use to go in the pub further up is it carousel - i went in the kids telly room as it was -made loads of friends there . what was that pub called in the 60s?

It was the Midland hotel then the carousel it is now called

"Escape"

• 5 years later...

Hi, i use to help in playing the records, which was in a wooden shed on the grass overlooking the bandstand.

A neighbour was one of the park keepers at that time.

The park was filled with beds of flowers of all varieties.

What a thread...yes, I remember them. The Old Woman who lived in The Shoe, and wasn't there a small train right at the top that went into the woods? I remember the paddle steamer all lit up as well.

At the bottom there was a large clock in a flower bed.