Ridiculous rape laws...

That is very bad and is the other side of the coin to some of the remarks we have been making here. We don't know the full story but if the woman is sure it is rape she must pursue it to the end regardless of police attempts to trivialise it. If one of my sons friends had done that to their mother there wouldn't be any need for a court case.

My eldest sister was raped about 15yrs ago, she was out with a work colleague and another couple and was led to believe that after the others had finished their drinks they would be joining them at the mans flat for coffee. He’d obviously made other arrangements and when she went to use his bathroom he burst in and raped her. Luckily for her she was treated with kindness and respect by the police and everyone else concerned, the man eventually confessed and being a strong person she recovered from her ordeal very quickly.

The husband of a family friend of my parents was wrongly accused of rape by one of his 17yr old students, this very disturbed young lady had a crush on him. After being suspended during investigations into the allegation the young woman eventually admitted she’d lied. The lecturer had a nervous breakdown, his children suffered verbal abuse at school and the family eventually had to move to a different area in order to start to re-build their lives.

Only a tiny percentage of men would ever commit such a crime and an even smaller percentage of women would ever falsely accuse but it does happen and until someone invents a full proof lie detector we have to trust the judicial system.

Only a tiny percentage of men would ever commit such a crime and an even smaller percentage of women would ever falsely accuse but it does happen and until someone invents a full proof lie detector we have to trust the judicial system.

Again, really horrendous stories - from both sides of the coin.

That statement's also refreshingly balanced, poppy - I'm glad to see not everyone has the blinkered 'all men are rapists' view.

Again, really horrendous stories - from both sides of the coin.

That statement's also refreshingly balanced, poppy - I'm glad to see not everyone has the blinkered 'all men are rapists' view.

To be honest Banjo, the friend of my dad’s had an affair earlier in his marriage (with someone of a similar age). I disliked him for that, and based on that dislike I automatically believed that the girl was telling the truth. Just shows how wrong you can be.

Archived