Cafe guru Restaurant

bluenwhite

Been twice. First with my wife and it cost about £80. We enjoyed it that much we took some friends as well as my bro and his wife and everyone totally enjoyed it.

So the wife paid!

Fantastic food, very good service and worth every penny.

Only went the once and it was a bit poor to be honest, especially at that price point. It might have been an off day with it being a Monday night, but it's not got me rushing back.

(I can smell tonights lamb curry being prepped downstairs as I type, and all I can say is WOW :wow: )

Here here!

I would rather go somewhere & pay £8-9 for a fantastic main course that I really enjoyed, with nice lean meat and great flavours, than be given a dodgy manky curry for free.

Who on Earth thinks £8 for a decent main course is expensive anyway?!

I'd be worried about what they usually ate! :gag:

If you think about how much your "decent main course" cost to prepare, you'd know you were being ripped off.

And for those elitists who don't think you can get a decent meal on the cheap, I'd suggest looking at the Hillsborough Hotel bargainous meals thread.

Am of Indian origin and been in Sheff 13 years. Sheffield is not good for curries, even the city's best do not compare to Bradford, London B'ham...but I had heard good reports of Cafe Guru so went there with a largish group to try.

Very poor service after 90 mins of no food and continuous attempts by staff to encourage further drink buying had to complain.

When food arrived was nicely presented like the place and moderate portions but...for the inflated prices was simply average. Too salty and really not worth the money. For people who value ambience and decor over food serves a purpose but ' a mon avis' not a good eatery.

Since Gulshan changed chefs now generally eat at Mangla (poor service though) or Butlers. Best nearish curry i think is Aargrah outside Donny.

Hey S99,

Perhaps the disappointment comes through most of the chefs here being of Bangladeshi or, more often, Pakistani origin. Sheffield, for some reason, has always had a very small Indian community which I guess affects the style of food served in what people call 'Indian' restaurants.

I'e always felt disappointed by curries I've had in London but this is probably due to the authentically Indian food i've been served whereas what i've been brought up on, and know as curry, is a Pakistani interpretation of what English people think curry is. That's my theory anyway.

Once i've adjusted my expectations I enjoy all varieties. I've given up on authenticity; after all, one person's authenticity is another's subjective reality!

• 4 years later...

This restaurant is to be avoided.

I regularly eat at some splendid Asian restaurants and after being offered a discouny voucher though Groupon I though I would give Cafe Guru a go.

The voucher was for £40. There were no restrictions stated although I presumed drinks would not be included as generally this is the case with discount restaurant vouchers.

On arrival I presented the voucher and was shown to a table.

The waiter, Mr Khan, asked us if we would like popadoms. We said yes and he informed us they were not included in the offer. Strange but OK.

When he returned to take our order we were both going to order from the side marked specialities as these were dishes we had not tries before and one of the reasons we decided to give Cage Guru a go in the first place. We were informed these also could not be ordered using the voucher!

I was not happy at this stage and made my feelings to Mr Khan clear . He explained the manager, who was not present, had told him clear instructions and if went against this the cost would be deducted form his wages. He said if I was not happy I could leave and would need to get a refund from Groupon!

We mulled the situation over and after a few minutes we decided we would make the most of it and order from the standard menu.

Mr Khan came back and my wife ordered a king prawn jalfrezi. Guess what. Fish or Prawn dishes could also not be ordered using the vouchers!

This is ridiculous and at this point we decided enough was enough and left.

The point of offering discount vouchers is to attract new customers to your business and give them good time so they return and tell others of their experience. The management seem to have no understanding of this and I feel the way we treat was terrible.

I will be taking the issue up with other bodies due to the time I waisted and the miss-leading voucher. They have had the benefit of thousands of people being made aware of them by Groupon and have lied to those who decided to take up the offer of a voucher.

On a more positive note, after leaving we went to Nirmals on Glossop road. Fantastic and highly recommended.

This restaurant is to be avoided.

I regularly eat at some splendid Asian restaurants and after being offered a discouny voucher though Groupon I though I would give Cafe Guru a go.

The voucher was for £40. There were no restrictions stated although I presumed drinks would not be included as generally this is the case with discount restaurant vouchers.

On arrival I presented the voucher and was shown to a table.

The waiter, Mr Khan, asked us if we would like popadoms. We said yes and he informed us they were not included in the offer. Strange but OK.

When he returned to take our order we were both going to order from the side marked specialities as these were dishes we had not tries before and one of the reasons we decided to give Cage Guru a go in the first place. We were informed these also could not be ordered using the voucher!

I was not happy at this stage and made my feelings to Mr Khan clear . He explained the manager, who was not present, had told him clear instructions and if went against this the cost would be deducted form his wages. He said if I was not happy I could leave and would need to get a refund from Groupon!

We mulled the situation over and after a few minutes we decided we would make the most of it and order from the standard menu.

Mr Khan came back and my wife ordered a king prawn jalfrezi. Guess what. Fish or Prawn dishes could also not be ordered using the vouchers!

This is ridiculous and at this point we decided enough was enough and left.

The point of offering discount vouchers is to attract new customers to your business and give them good time so they return and tell others of their experience. The management seem to have no understanding of this and I feel the way we treat was terrible.

I will be taking the issue up with other bodies due to the time I waisted and the miss-leading voucher. They have had the benefit of thousands of people being made aware of them by Groupon and have lied to those who decided to take up the offer of a voucher.

On a more positive note, after leaving we went to Nirmals on Glossop road. Fantastic and highly recommended.

It's really not nice to do a hit and run hatchet job on the competition.

Which restaurant are you from?

Archived