Cafe guru Restaurant

bluenwhite

I'm a fan of Cafe Guru. It offers something different to your usual curry house. I've been going for years now and never had a poor meal or service.

To be perfectly honest, if you're after a basic, poppadom, bhaji, curry and nan job, you should choose somewhere else - because this is a bit more upmarket, a bit more eclectic. But if you want something a bit different to that then this is a very good place to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well...

all good things come to an end eh?

I was in town on saturday night and at about half 9 I turned up at Cafe Guru and there was only one table occupied. I went in and was told they were shutting early because it had been so quiet!

I mean - half 9 on a saturday night!

It wasn't the usual staff that were on - and apparently it's under new ownership now.

It was very good before, as I said in my previous thread. But this isn't a good sign is it? I think it will be lucky to survive based on this.

Yeah I really love this place. Fantastic food and really different. Frequently use their takeaway service "guru to go". (assuming its same company)

are you speaking about the present, or the past angie?

I think I may have mentioned it is under new ownership?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like making this review, because my Husband and i have been to Cafe Guru a few times and we love the food there. However, one Saturday, the day before Fathers Day, i called Cafe Guru and a lady answered the phone there, i ASKED if they were open on the Sunday evening (the reason i asked, is that a couple of weeks before, my Husband and i went there on a Sunday evening, expecting a meal, but they were closed, this was around 7 or 8pm) she said yes, at which point, i booked a table for 5 at 7pm, this was a Fathers Day treat, for my Husband and Father in Law. We arrived at 6:58pm and the restaurant was CLOSED :rant: even though the opening times printed on the window stated Open every evening 6pm till 11pm, this is also advertised on their website. If there was a sign in the window stated, "CLOSED DUE TO UNFORSEEN CIRCUMSTANCES" Then i would have completely understood, but NOTHING!!!! I was absolutely disgusted and quite embarrassed in front of my Father in Law.....what a lovely Fathers Day. Well, what a lovely Fathers Day indeed, we decided to have a walk up to "Nirmals" Restaurant on Glossop Road......Glad we did, as the food was Fantastic and Nirmal herself is a lovely Lady, Cafe guru was going to be booked by my Father in Law for 10 next Friday evening.....but he has now booked "Nirmals". I now have no good comments about Cafe Guru, my advice....go to "Nirmals" and enjoy :thumbsup:

A shame; one of Sheffield's few, decent curry houses.

I put them in two categories:

a), a curry at the end of a ten pint session - pretty much any old rubbish will do (Balti King perhaps [count me out]); &

b), a full-on excellent meal which requires nice wine & smart attire but which you have before your taste buds have been blitzkrieged by a gallon of Amstel.

Cafe Guru came into this latter category.

Brilliant food, cracking plonk and good service.

Archived