Boxing Calzaghe V Manfredo

Hi,

Ref maybe stopped it too soon, but it was totally one-sided. Really, it's a bit silly to say you never know what could have happened - because all that could have happened was that it could have carried on too long and an over-hyped US TV reality show boxer could have got hurt badly.

If he's the no.6 challenger in any boxing organisation's rankings, then there are a lot of sub-standard pros at that weight.

Boxing is a sport where reality can clash head-on with hype, and there's only ever one winner. Calzaghe was way beyond Manfredo's ability, and that fight should never have been on.

Ade

Hi,

Ref maybe stopped it too soon, but it was totally one-sided. Really, it's a bit silly to say you never know what could have happened - because all that could have happened was that it could have carried on too long and an over-hyped US TV reality show boxer could have got hurt badly.

If he's the no.6 challenger in any boxing organisation's rankings, then there are a lot of sub-standard pros at that weight.

Boxing is a sport where reality can clash head-on with hype, and there's only ever one winner. Calzaghe was way beyond Manfredo's ability, and that fight should never have been on.

Ade

Actually on paper it was a good fight...Manfredo beat Pemberton who was 19-0 before he lost to him..Manfredo also beat a guy Calzaghe was meant to fight next .......Also Manfredo was never hurt at all ,,, ,,sometimes fighters take a bit of time to warm up....HE WAS DUCKING AND WEAVING WHEN IT GOT STOPPED FOR GODNESS SAKE!!! it was after all only the third round out of 12! ...

Total mismatch and so was Khans. When will the so called promoters stop nurse maiding their precious champions with inferior fighters ? :rant:

Frank Warren had no intention of putting the british fighters with exceptional fighters...Why? cus they where on HBO and the american public where watching and ourt fighters had to look goood to get a chance over there...simply great promoting if you ask me

Pro Boxing = money = box office/showbiz.Consequently there will always be behind the scenes politics/manoeuvring/dodgy deals and decisions i`m afraid.At the end of the day though promoters have to look at the product they are dishing up to the paying public.Very often it appears we are being short changed.Once hype takes over from substance i fear the sport is on a slippery slope.

With an attitude like this, I am glad Manfredo was stopped so early:

"I'd rather get killed than be stopped. He had no right to stop the fight like that. This ain't the amateurs, this is professional boxing for the world championship."

Oh this poor lad from the contender reality show was out of his depth,Calzy tortured him for 3 rounds,the USA are desperate for a world champ,it will probably be 1 from American Idol next.

Archived