Boxing Calzaghe V Manfredo

Joe Calzaghe is the worst boxing champ about. Never fought a real live opponent, His best opponemt is still a 3yrs past his best Chris Eubank. Joe is the best of a very very bad bunch of super middleweights, he won't step up to light heavy cus he's afraid of fighting a good un. Calzage would have got knocked clean out by Benn, a Prime Eubank, Watson.. Shall I carry on. And as for the best display by a british fighter ever when he beat Jeff Lacy, look at Lacy's record 19-0 again never fought anyone. What a joke he is, now Joe is calling out Jemain Taylor another middleweight, Bernhard Hopkins 41 years old... Well done Joe, u clown. Why doesn't he try and fight Kessler. He's a tool.

For people information best british performance ever would be..

Benn against Dug De Witt ot Iran Barkley or Gerald Mclennan

Loyd Honnigan beating Don Curry.

All the above fight put Joe never fought anyone Calzaghe to Shame.

Peter Manfredo Lost twice in the contender... Really good eh.

Remeber Calzaghe defences against boxing great such as Tocker Pudwell... or Will the Kid Mcintyre... Real good.

Boxing is losing its popularity, and after watching the 3 disgraceful contests (if they can be called contests) I can see why.

What on earth could Khan and Enzo have learnt from Saturday night?

As for Joe, the record books might show him to be the most successful champ ever, but will he be remembered in years to come for the big fights or for fighting nobody's????? (I think the latter).

I remember my dad telling me of the Sugar Ray, Hearns, Hagler and Duran era of the 80's. I also remember with fond memories the Eubank, Benn, Watson and Collins battles in the 90's when I was a teenager. Who's gonna remember Joe in 10 years?

I would love to see Joe take on the trully big names, the career defining fights. I beleive he is the best around at the mo, awesome hand speed, determination, stamina, a cracking boxing brain, but Joe you've got to prove it by taking the big fights, otherwise your time will always be surrounded by doubts.

He complains he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, well earn it!

Joe Calzaghe is the worst boxing champ about. Never fought a real live opponent, His best opponemt is still a 3yrs past his best Chris Eubank. Joe is the best of a very very bad bunch of super middleweights, he won't step up to light heavy cus he's afraid of fighting a good un. Calzage would have got knocked clean out by Benn, a Prime Eubank, Watson.. Shall I carry on. And as for the best display by a british fighter ever when he beat Jeff Lacy, look at Lacy's record 19-0 again never fought anyone. What a joke he is, now Joe is calling out Jemain Taylor another middleweight, Bernhard Hopkins 41 years old... Well done Joe, u clown. Why doesn't he try and fight Kessler. He's a tool.

Remeber Calzaghe defences against boxing great such as Tocker Pudwell... or Will the Kid Mcintyre... Real good.

I agree with the stuff you say about best british performances - i saw all those fights at the time, but to say that Calzaghe's the worst champion around? are you saying that every world champ, at every weight (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO, WBU, WBF, etc. etc.), there's NO ONE around worse than Calzaghe? sorry, i don't believe it...and he has tried to get a bout with Kessler...

as for speculating what would or would not have happened against Benn et.al, it's pointless - it didn't happen - end of...

Disagree Benn was not in this guy's league.

He is the best fighter we have had at this weight for 40 years.

Why would he fight frooch no real money in it...Has to be taylor, Hopkins out of retirement or even Roy Jones.

well further up the thread someone is suggesting that neither taylor or hopkins would be suitable opponents, and i don't think jones would be, so who else is there?

when I said he is the worst world champion what I meant he is in a very sub standard weight class at the moment. Super Middleweight is extreamly lacklusture. I believe Calzaghe knows this and will not take the step up in weight he has been talking about for almost 5yrs. Im sure if he really wanted to fight Kessler then the fight would be made. He may have to go out of GB which I think he only ever done once. But if he is as good as he says he should knock out kessler not leaving it in the hands of the judges. To say joe Calzaghe is best british boxer of all time is a ridiculous statement. Fighting people like Roy Jones, Jermain Taylor, will prove nothing. I think the best fights out there for him to prove himself as a world class operater, he will have to move up to light heavy fight people like Chad Dawson, Antonio Tarver, Glenn johnstone, Clinton Woods. But I still believe Benn, Eubank, Watson would drop him like a bad habit. You only have to look at how JC throws punches arm punches, slaps with the insides of his gloves. Benn would drop him hard.

when I said he is the worst world champion what I meant he is in a very sub standard weight class at the moment. Super Middleweight is extreamly lacklusture. I believe Calzaghe knows this and will not take the step up in weight he has been talking about for almost 5yrs. Im sure if he really wanted to fight Kessler then the fight would be made. He may have to go out of GB which I think he only ever done once. But if he is as good as he says he should knock out kessler not leaving it in the hands of the judges. To say joe Calzaghe is best british boxer of all time is a ridiculous statement. Fighting people like Roy Jones, Jermain Taylor, will prove nothing. I think the best fights out there for him to prove himself as a world class operater, he will have to move up to light heavy fight people like Chad Dawson, Antonio Tarver, Glenn johnstone, Clinton Woods. But I still believe Benn, Eubank, Watson would drop him like a bad habit. You only have to look at how JC throws punches arm punches, slaps with the insides of his gloves. Benn would drop him hard.

Clinton Woods? You can't be serious! What would that prove? he's hardly set the world alight!

It's funny cos i was on an American based boxing forum the other day and they were all saying Calzaghe would have to fight Taylor, Hopkins, etc. to prove himself - i have no opinion really on who he should fight, but whoever he fights, people are going to slate him, so it doesn't really matter.

as for knocking out Kessler - boxing is the sweet science - hit and not be hit - there's no shame in a bout going to the judges. being able to KO an opponent is just one aspect of boxing - it doesn't mean a boxer isn't as good as they say they are just because they don't have a prolific KO record or can't KO a particular opponent - many of the greates boxers in history weren't especially big hitters compared to other fighters. There's no doubt in my mind that Calzaghe's a better boxer than a puncher and shouldn't be getting drawn into brawls and looking for a KO - he's got the skill and speed to avoid that and he should play to his strengths.

Archived