Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

pagill

Hi Geoff,

Remember me? I'm going back to just before our school days in Cobden View Road. ( Many many years ago !) There was myself, John Preston, my Mother ran the local shop where we lived. Next door was Jane Russell at number 45 then yourself with Auntie Nora ( Nora Wragg ) next door to you, also, there was Graham Morfett and Leslie Roddis who lived a few doors further down. Do you remember the snowball fight in your yard with Norman Wragg. He got me in my left ear,( ouch, that hurt! A memory still clear in my mind today ! ) Sadly, as I remember, Norman died many years ago at a very young age. I still call on Janes Mum, Joan Russell who is now in her mid 80s and still at number 45. The last time I saw your mum ( Auntie Kath ) was many years ago when she called in the sandwhich shop which I had at the time ( The Attic on High Court.) Happy times! Hope I've jogged a few memories !

Best regards,

John.

Hi John,

Good to hear from you after all these years. I remember with great affection going into your Mum's shop as a boy and being made very welcome, and not because of the penny bubblies I bought. Your Dad always called me "Shaver". I don't really know why but they were both very friendly. I remember Leslie well and "GWEZ" - Graham Morphitt. Norman Allen once threw a rock ( maybe inside a snowball - that split my head open big style. So, unfortunately he was not on my Christmas card list.

best regards, Geoff

The potted 'dog' factory on Western Road is called Binghams and is part of the Northern Foods enterprise.

Dales, the tuck shop, from where I bought many football 'bubble-gum' cards was on the corner of Springvale Road and Mona Avenue. There was also a tuck shop on Leamington Street at the bottom of Warwick Street, very near to where the Chinese student was killed in a house fire last Autumn. Such corner shops have now been converted to flats.

I have a 1959 photo of Miss Exley's class taken in that bottom yard by the dental practice but I don't know how to move it from "My pictures" on to this site?

Hi if you remember Dales shop in Springvale Road, you would remember my Mom & Dad's Bakehouse and shop at 300 Springvale Road

bevnee

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,Just joined this site, I went to Western Road School, Started there in about 1945/1946 don't remember much about teachers names, My parents owned the bread and cake shop 300 Springvale Road, I left Western Road school when my parents sold their shop and moved to Brighton Sussex in 1954

Hi Bevely Needam. I remember you, i must have started school about the same time as you, we used to knock around together after lessons there was quite a few of us, i remember going into your shop for a bread cake to eat to keep me going nothing on it then just a dry cake, i can taste it now.I am Graham Thorpe, other names of pals are Peter Dickens,Tony Large, Niel Castle, Kenneth Harrison we all went to Western Road dont know if you remember any of the names. See if all the names ring a bell. Talk to you soon.

Hi Bevely Needam. I remember you, i must have started school about the same time as you, we used to knock around together after lessons there was quite a few of us, i remember going into your shop for a bread cake to eat to keep me going nothing on it then just a dry cake, i can taste it now.I am Graham Thorpe, other names of pals are Peter Dickens,Tony Large, Niel Castle, Kenneth Harrison we all went to Western Road dont know if you remember any of the names. See if all the names ring a bell. Talk to you soon.

Hi Graham, thanks for the message I remember you, can email me at bevnee@bigpond.net.au

hope to hear from you bev